Taxus brevifolia (pacific yew)

Huh, I had no idea we had a native yew species.
They're not very common. Every now and then you may notice one in the forest, then not see any others the rest of the day.

Our most shade tolerant tree. 99% of the time they’re in the understory. Usually in older and wet forests. They layer extremely well, which helps them to spread vegetatively. They take forever to grow. 30’ is tall. 12” diameter is a considerable trunk size. Most trees take well over 100 years to get that big. I had an 8 incher that was 117yrs.

Most people mistake them for western hemlock which is also often found in the understory. But yew has sparser foliage and new stems are green for the first couple years.

The trees have medicinal properties that are linked to cancer drugs, but eating most parts of it can kill a person.
The wood is very strong and resists rot. It is a choice wood for crafted bows. Since the trees take forever to grow and usually are not straight it fetches a high price.

Great trees.

Last edited:
They're not very common. Every now and then you may notice one in the forest, then not see any others the rest of the day.

Our most shade tolerant tree. 99% of the time they’re in the understory. Usually in older and wet forests. They layer extremely well, which helps them to spread vegetatively. They take forever to grow. 30’ is tall. 12” diameter is a considerable trunk size. Most trees take well over 100 years to get that big. I had an 8 incher that was 117yrs.

Most people mistake them for western hemlock which is also often found in the understory. But yew has sparser foliage and new stems are green for the first couple years.

The trees have medicinal properties that are linked to cancer drugs, but eating most parts of it can kill a person.
The wood is very strong and resists rot. It is a choice wood for crafted bows. Since the trees take forever to grow and usually are not straight it fetches a high price.

Great trees.
Very cool! Thanks for that info. I didn’t know there was a native to North America either.

Have you found any large ones for collection? i.e., do they gain the traits we generally look for in yamadori?

I ask because so many of the great yews in Europe are from hedging or other human cultivation rather than collected from the wild.

Have you found any large ones for collection? i.e., do they gain the traits we generally look for in yamadori?

I ask because so many of the great yews in Europe are from hedging or other human cultivation rather than collected from the wild.
They have evidence that armies in europe had suitable ancient yew trees they harvested boughs for bows every few decades. Very stong an resilient wood. So rare to find or detect one in the wild in the PNW

Yes I’ve found some big trunks but they often come attached to larger trees, not compacted ones.
Though I have seen some nice yamadori material it’s uncommon due to where yew typically grow around here. They are sensitive to high heat and other extremes so they’re not usually found in the open.
In the understory they are sheltered from the constant barrage that shapes stunted trees in more hostile locations.
Additionally, growing in shade promotes a spreading habit and leggy branches.
The good news is that yew backbuds like crazy. So if a nice trunk is found, it can be chopped and dug, and then can sprout new growth to work with.

Last edited:
Foliage is way darker than Western Hemlock, bark is usually red like cleaned shimpaku, and they grow fencepost strait, they are fairly uncommon but once you see
one they become instantly recognizable even from a distance.
Also the trunks get a little muscly/ridged albeit taper less.

After some growth, I wonder if they will strike cuttings easily like other yews.

The characteristics sound like they would be a great species for bonsai.

This tree had a strong growing season.
1726412360084.jpeg

It could be turned into a nice raft.
1726412400420.jpeg
1726412422453.jpeg

Increased light has lead to morphological changes in the needles. They are not as dark or flatly-arranged as shaded needles.
1726412875490.jpeg

Attachments

• 1726412464693.jpeg
    1726412464693.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 0
We grew some taxis brevifolia in the Environmental Center for years.

When logging areas were clear cut many yews stood out as their foliage basically yellowed up and slowed growth until a partial canopy was restored.

They were really slow growers in their natural habitat. Wonder what they will do in bonsai media.?

Collected taxonomical samples in the forests around Steven’s Pass for a couple decades. Every once in awhile we’d come onto these yews which were spread out for 20 yards from a large plant. After some probing, it was discovered these were all basically one plant that had ground layered multiple times. Looked like the snow pack pressed the growth onto the forest floor. Coupled with the usual detritus and fallen branches through many years, these areas had ground layered over and over again…. Literally spreading the plant sideways.

So thinking ground layering would work.

Cheers
DSD sends

Back
Top Bottom