Taxus bacatta

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This one is going to be a puzzle
Nice. I find the same conundrum with collected azalea. Big wide bases and lots of trunks to choose from. The challenge is to remove trunks to make it more tree-like while having the result look realistic (something I haven't mastered).

Looking forward to see how you handle the styling.
CW

Reaction score
Nice. I find the same conundrum with collected azalea. Big wide bases and lots of trunks to choose from. The challenge is to remove trunks to make it more tree-like while having the result look realistic (something I haven't mastered).

Looking forward to see how you handle the styling.
CW
Same over here. I want too get the best out of it.
I think it is part telent part experience. Thinking about taken it too marc noelanders.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm wit it!

Me too!

But only because all its originality is coming from those multi trunks....
Those multi trunks that give it a large, tree like shape...
Those multi trunks that where crossing, isn't bad and can be further hidden with evergreeness....
Those multi trunks that if jinned, will remove the oiginality.....
Those multi trunks which excellently tapered branches can be built off of...
Those multi trunks that fully make this material.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would try not to remove the “trunks”. Some well thought out reductions, sure, but it has a very natural broom shape. I forget who’s quote it is, but my suggestion is to try to “make the bonsai look like a tree, rather than make the tree look like a bonsai”

Addendum: also a shift in the potted angle to the right to make the thicker trunk more primary could help things out as well.

Reaction score
Me too!

But only because all its originality is coming from those multi trunks....
Those multi trunks that give it a large, tree like shape...
Those multi trunks that where crossing, isn't bad and can be further hidden with evergreeness....
Those multi trunks that if jinned, will remove the oiginality.....
Those multi trunks which excellently tapered branches can be built off of...
Those multi trunks that fully make this material.

Sorce
Yes, Thats what i was thinking too. Keeping most trunks a possible. Perhaps a ten jin.
I have a problem with Yew.
IMG_7728.JPG

Reaction score
I would try not to remove the “trunks”. Some well thought out reductions, sure, but it has a very natural broom shape. I forget who’s quote it is, but my suggestion is to try to “make the bonsai look like a tree, rather than make the tree look like a bonsai”

Addendum: also a shift in the potted angle to the right to make the thicker trunk more primary could help things out as well.

Want it as much look like a taxus. No juniper or pine style. Branches horizontal not down. Changing the angle is a good idee.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In Wisconsin, here is the USA, there is a metzgerei that makes deutsche Wurst. The sign outside the store proudly proclaims their advertising slogan "Die Wurst mit Geschmack!"

In English, this literally means "the Sausage with Taste!" which has a dirty double meaning here that I am surprised no one has told them about :)

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
On your original yew, you have to decide to keep one of the main two trunks - because they are incompatible with each other. I personally like the trunk on the right.

If you keep the trunk on the right, and then reduce the trunk on the left and eliminate any branches that cross or conflict with the line of the right trunk you are left with a much cleaner silhouette:

yew.jpg
Now it is much easier to see the possible designs in this tree. You would still need to remove / jin several branches to clean everything up and tighten the design.

Last edited:
Top Bottom