Talk about pot bound ...

Jimdavis

Sapling
Reaction score
This cedar has been in this terricata pot for approx 15 years. My grandfather had placed it there with the intent to plant it somewhere in the yard and it was forgotten. Decided I would attempt to get it out hoping the nebari would have a good bulge under the pot. Unfourtunilty it was planted in close proximity to a stand of bamboo then had completely infiltrated the rootball off this tree. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'm gonna let things die off as I expect they will and maybe next year I can get a better idea of what I have left to work with. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Jimdavis

Sapling
Reaction score
Every hole crack and surrounding area lol this thing was struggling for a long time.

Jimdavis

Sapling
Reaction score
Not yet man it's in the works. I collected it last year from a farm that was getting bulldozed. Owner gave me free rain lol I took 3 taxus, an Acer disectum ( that I'm thread grafting into a sharps Pygmy this season ) an azalea and a lilac.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Not yet man it's in the works. I collected it last year from a farm that was getting bulldozed. Owner gave me free rain lol I took 3 taxus, an Acer disectum ( that I'm thread grafting into a sharps Pygmy this season ) an azalea and a lilac.
Nooiiice!

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It's not EVEN pot bound :)

Amur maple - 3 years
03043704 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

This is the highest degree of pot bound.. when jeremy slipped ( i say slipped but this would have been a titanic struggle involving power tools!), out of that square pot, the roots would have imploded, expeling rapidly what little soil remained. Always where googles when repoting of this magnitude!..

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The bamboo roots came up thru the drainage hole???
Unless you have lived with a "running" bamboo, its a bit hard to believe what they do.
I made the mistake of putting some in my landscape and, while very interesting and beautiful, they took over the corner of the yard. I hacked them to the ground 3-4 years in a row, which mostly took care of them, but I still get shoots popping up 10-15 feet away in the spring. And the stumps just won't rot. I believe that they are waiting for me to ignore them, and they will come back in numbers.
CW

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Unless you have lived with a "running" bamboo, its a bit hard to believe what they do.

I can vouch for this. I put a bamboo "screen" to the left of my spa in 2000. Supposedly a "clumping" species. Within 2 years, saw shoots popping up in the lawn 10-15 feet away. Decided to eradicate it. Had to do in again every six months for at least 4 years. Didn't completely rid myself of them until probably 2008.

Top Bottom