table top saw

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
A circular saw would work, as would a table saw built into a table, maybe even a chop saw. Cutting long planks can be a pain without the right tool or experience as they can be hard to cut straight (and safely) without the right set up. Have you ever used any of the above?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In Scottsville....Capture+_2018-01-12-07-06-31.png

Don't buy the shit Chicago electric one!

Sorce

Attachments

• Capture+_2018-01-12-07-06-31.png
    Capture+_2018-01-12-07-06-31.png
    382.9 KB · Views: 2

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
A circular saw would work, as would a table saw built into a table, maybe even a chop saw. Cutting long planks can be a pain without the right tool or experience as they can be hard to cut straight (and safely) without the right set up. Have you ever used any of the above?
I'm looking to start making my own cedar plant boxes. Looking for recommendations on small table top saws.

Thanks.

I like a chop saw - I've got one that can do a six inch width board and can adjust to miter any angle. I would recommend this above anything else - totally idiot proof compared to almost anything else.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like a chop saw - I've got one that can do a six inch width board and can adjust to miter any angle. I would recommend this above anything else - totally idiot proof compared to almost anything else.
I've got a nice contractor's saw, a circular saw, a reciprocating saw, even a 14" band saw... but no chop saw! Maybe for my coming birthday... hoping for a 12"er:).

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
Of course you would recommend a chop saw. why not a choppy choppy saw. :D

but I would go with the same I have a craftsman saw like he describes that can do miters.

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
I've got a nice contractor's saw, a circular saw, a reciprocating saw, even a 14" band saw... but no chop saw! Maybe for my coming birthday... hoping for a 12"er:).

I've got a circular and reciprocating as well lol - I've got too much stuff :(

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A chop saw (mitre saw) is very easy to use for cross cutting lumber to length. Its also relatively portable, if that's important to you.

But, if you ever need to rip (slice a board lengthwise) a chop saw is useless. While a table saw is less portable, and cross cuts aren't as quick or easy with one, I find it the more useful tool in the long run as it can rip, and crosscut.

If you will never need to cut down a 1" x 8" into two 1" x 4"s, then go with the chopper, as @choppychoppy says.
CW

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
thats the biggest cross cut sled ive ever seen. makes me wanna give you the extra miter saw out in my garage :)
I built that one right after I acquired the saw 15 years ago. I guess you could say it's overbuilt:D, but it's still as easy and effective to use as when it was built... I can cross cut a board 12" x 2" x 12' and it still slides like butter.

... and I can quickly rip planks 24" long in it, too. Like @CWTurner said, you can't do that with a chop saw.

...still want one, though;).

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I can see how that would work well for a cross cut. How well does it work for making rip cuts?
You don't rip with it. If you're planning to rip planks or sheets of lumbar, a table saw is the way to go, though a circular saw will do in a pinch.

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You don't rip with it. If you're planning to rip planks or sheets of lumbar, a table saw is the way to go, though a circular saw will do in a pinch.
Thanks Dave.

I've been thinking about a circular saw. But I thought with having to do rip cuts as well that a small table would be a little easier.

Top Bottom