Substrate ratio

trod10

Seedling
Reaction score
Not looking to start a substrate war, just looking for advice with the products I have and can get locally for decent price.

On hand: pumice, fine grade fir bark, perlite, coco coir, lava rock, charcoal.

I plan to use the pumice, perlite, fir bark, lava rock, and charcoal. I have 3/4” lava rock so plan to hammer that down. Everything will be pre screened to remove powdery stuff. Shooting for 1/4” but may have some slightly smaller and some slightly larger.

Climate: I’m in the central valley of California so it’s hot and dry during the summer. Winters are mild.

Plants: cedar, juniper, pine, boxwood, elm, jade.

Looking for a ratio that if I’m not able to water for a couple days (kids/sports/vacations) bonsai’s won’t die on me. Currently everything is on eastern facing side of house, late afternoon shade.

Thoughts: 4 parts pumice:4 parts perlite:2 parts lava rock:1 part fir bark:1/2 part charcoal.

Any advice is appreciated, I will only be using what I have on hand though.

Thank you in advance.

If you want to water less frequently, you would want something that retains moisture bit doesn't get too soggy. Adding organic material will hold moisture, akadama, Oil dry/cat litter/diomacious earth is another choice. Hot and dry + pumice/perlite + time sounds like a great way to make kindling.

I like that you have charcoal. I am going to be adding some to all of my plants very soon.

If I had only your materials, I'd go;

For junipers and boxwoods- 1 part pumice: 1 part lava rock: 1.5 to 2 part fir bark.
For elms- 1 part pumice: 1 part lava rock: 2 to 3.5 parts fir bark.
I have no experience with cedars and jades so I won't suggest anything for them.

I only use coco coir and perlite in younger, growing material. If you're going to make a mix, I think keeping it simple is the best. So ratios of just pumice, lava, and fir bark would do.

IMO use either pumice or perlite but not both. I prefer 1/4" +-. Perlite is a bit to wet for me. Fir bark ok but get rid of all fines. I'd only use charcoal for conifers. When it gets hot, put dried sphagnum moss on top of pots to preserve moisture in the pot if ur going to be gone for a little bit.

Jades can be pretty easy. I have some in potting soil and just leave them outside. No watering all summer.

Jades can be pretty easy. I have some in potting soil and just leave them outside. No watering all summer.
I have multiple Jades of which are in DIY potting soil and yes I agree they do fine. I plan to bonsai one though and put it in a smaller container so I was thinking to make a substrate for it also.

IMO use either pumice or perlite but not both. I prefer 1/4" +-. Perlite is a bit to wet for me. Fir bark ok but get rid of all fines. I'd only use charcoal for conifers. When it gets hot, put dried sphagnum moss on top of pots to preserve moisture in the pot if ur going to be gone for a little bit.
After sifting everything out (<1/4”, 1/4”-1/2”, and >1/2”) I will not be using the perlite, not enough in the 1/4” range.

I will be getting rid of the fines on all ingredients.

Will do with the charcoal. Is there an explanation as to how come only add it to conifers?

Great ideas with the dried sphagnum moss!

Thank you

If I had only your materials, I'd go;

For junipers and boxwoods- 1 part pumice: 1 part lava rock: 1.5 to 2 part fir bark.
For elms- 1 part pumice: 1 part lava rock: 2 to 3.5 parts fir bark.
I have no experience with cedars and jades so I won't suggest anything for them.

I only use coco coir and perlite in younger, growing material. If you're going to make a mix, I think keeping it simple is the best. So ratios of just pumice, lava, and fir bark would do.
So all my plants are < 5 yrs in training, would you consider that “younger, growing material”?

I do agree with the keeping it simple method!

Do you have an explanation as to your recommendation of basically a 1:1 ratio of inorganic to organic?

Thank you

Good advice/video from a California grower and a Bonsainut member.

Not looking to start a substrate war, just looking for advice with the products I have and can get locally for decent price.

On hand: pumice, fine grade fir bark, perlite, coco coir, lava rock, charcoal.

I plan to use the pumice, perlite, fir bark, lava rock, and charcoal. I have 3/4” lava rock so plan to hammer that down. Everything will be pre screened to remove powdery stuff. Shooting for 1/4” but may have some slightly smaller and some slightly larger.

Climate: I’m in the central valley of California so it’s hot and dry during the summer. Winters are mild.

Plants: cedar, juniper, pine, boxwood, elm, jade.

Looking for a ratio that if I’m not able to water for a couple days (kids/sports/vacations) bonsai’s won’t die on me. Currently everything is on eastern facing side of house, late afternoon shade.

Thoughts: 4 parts pumice:4 parts perlite:2 parts lava rock:1 part fir bark:1/2 part charcoal.

Any advice is appreciated, I will only be using what I have on hand though.

Thank you in advance.
Hello, Im in Central Valley too.

All your substrate will work.
Just to give you a little confidence on your mix.

Lots of my Pines and Chojubai are in Pure Lava Rock only and I live in Delano CA.
Just need to understand the tree watering needs, once you get the watering needs, just setup a watering system.

I have a few as well in Perlite, Bark, Pumice and etc.
But it all gonna go back to you analyzing the proper watering.

I only use bonsai soil on developed trees.

Thanks
Chris

Hello, Im in Central Valley too.

All your substrate will work.
Just to give you a little confidence on your mix.

Lots of my Pines and Chojubai are in Pure Lava Rock only and I live in Delano CA.
Just need to understand the tree watering needs, once you get the watering needs, just setup a watering system.

I have a few as well in Perlite, Bark, Pumice and etc.
But it all gonna go back to you analyzing the proper watering.

I only use bonsai soil on developed trees.

Thanks
Chris
“Bonsai soil”?

There seems to be so many variations, even when you get into the pre packaged bonsai soil. Do you mean “bonsai soil” in terms of pre packaged or Akadama/Pumice/Lava rock?

Good advice/video from a California grower and a Bonsainut member.

Very good and interesting info! He does live in San Francisco though, so entirely different climate than the Central Valley.

“Bonsai soil”?

There seems to be so many variations, even when you get into the pre packaged bonsai soil. Do you mean “bonsai soil” in terms of pre packaged or Akadama/Pumice/Lava rock?
I guess when majority of us say "Bonsai Soil" thats the common mixes.
Pumice, Akadama and Lava.

Very good and interesting info! He does live in San Francisco though, so entirely different climate than the Central Valley.
Yes, I’ve been there, spent a lot of time mucking around in the Merced River near Turlock across from the Gallo vinyard.

Yes, I’ve been there, spent a lot of time mucking around in the Merced River near Turlock across from the Gallo vinyard.
Got it, yea I’m a couple hours south of Turlock.

Back
Top Bottom