Styling Help 3-4-Year-Old JBP

turnyface

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Could use a little help. The first image is what I'm after (an old looking informal upright). I know this will take decades to achieve and I'm new to the scene, but don't know what I should do with the tree I have.

1. Do I let it grow and up pot next year to thicken the trunk?
2. Do I do a trunk chop the leader and let it grow all next year?

I don't see any branches on the apical leader other than the top, so there's a lot of space between the lower branches and the top of the leader. Should I do anything about the lower branches or leave them to thicken the trunk?

One image includes some thoughts:

1. Chop off the red line in the fall
2. Blue arrow going up become the new trunk leader
3. Blue arrow going to the right is the first branch
4. Both yellow branches are sacrificial to help thicken up the trunk
5. I'd do some light wiring on the blue lead and branch this fall to train its position

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0590.jpeg
    IMG_0590.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0967.jpeg
    IMG_0967.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0966.jpeg
    IMG_0966.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0965.jpeg
    IMG_0965.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0963.jpeg
    IMG_0963.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0964.jpeg
    IMG_0964.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0967 edit.jpeg
    IMG_0967 edit.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Greetings!

This tree is on the start of an 8-10 year voyage if done properly…. Depending upon the size tree desired.

At this point, do nothing. Let the leader go for the next couple years. No worries about the leader not having branches at this point. For sure down the line it will be chopped and another branch will take its place… perhaps the larges of the smaller branches.

If you know the media the tree is it can be slip potted (carefully) now into a larger container, perhaps a gallon (shorter) pond basket using identical media. Perhaps give more angle to-the lower trunk.

In any event the tree should get some wire on the main trunk/stem this fall.

Looks like last year perhaps the tree wasn’t decandled on the smaller branches? If feed well, likely will pop some buds on the lower branches.

This process requires quite a bit more guidance than can be given in one sitting… even in two. The very best thing I can recommends is a really comprehensive online course on Mastering Shohin JBP bonsai. Even if one desires a larger tree it covers all the basics, year by year.

No affiliation whatsoever btw… I purchased and finished both his new JBP and Juniper online ecourses in the past year and feel no issues recommending it wholeheartedly to others. Eric has updating both courses

Cheers
DSD sends

Greetings!

This tree is on the start of an 8-10 year voyage if done properly…. Depending upon the size tree desired.

At this point, do nothing. Let the leader go for the next couple years. No worries about the leader not having branches at this point. For sure down the line it will be chopped and another branch will take its place… perhaps the larges of the smaller branches.

If you know the media the tree is it can be slip potted (carefully) now into a larger container, perhaps a gallon (shorter) pond basket using identical media. Perhaps give more angle to-the lower trunk.

In any event the tree should get some wire on the main trunk/stem this fall.

Looks like last year perhaps the tree wasn’t decandled on the smaller branches? If feed well, likely will pop some buds on the lower branches.

This process requires quite a bit more guidance than can be given in one sitting… even in two. The very best thing I can recommends is a really comprehensive online course on Mastering Shohin JBP bonsai. Even if one desires a larger tree it covers all the basics, year by year.

No affiliation whatsoever btw… I purchased and finished both his new JBP and Juniper online ecourses in the past year and feel no issues recommending it wholeheartedly to others. Eric has updating both courses

Cheers
DSD sends
This is great information, thank you! I’ll be sure to check out that course.

I’m learning patience through this new hobby.

Not sure why photos aren’t uploading properly…trying again.
A site update last night broke how photos load. So any photos from around 8pm est last night until this morning are broken.

Seems to be fixed now though

Glad to see these in full. Used the same images showing in the attach files function box to advise.
Advice remains the same.

Cheers
DSD sends

Agree with the advice Deep Sea gave you.
This pine needs to grow if you want it to get a bigger trunk

Glad to see these in full. Used the same images showing in the attach files function box to advise.
Advice remains the same.

Cheers
DSD sends

I slip potting stressful on the tree?

I can't get exactly what they used, but I could create something close.

They used:
38% - Medium Fir Bark - 3/8" minus, unscreened.
33% - 3/8" Natural Cascade Mountain Volcanic Pumice.
17% - Peat Moss
12% - Perlite

If I did 1/3 of:
Pine Bark
Coco Coir
Perlite

Would that be good enough?

I plan on using Eric's mix of Perlite and Coco Coir at a 4:1 ratio next spring.

I slip potting stressful on the tree?

I can't get exactly what they used, but I could create something close.

They used:
38% - Medium Fir Bark - 3/8" minus, unscreened.
33% - 3/8" Natural Cascade Mountain Volcanic Pumice.
17% - Peat Moss
12% - Perlite

If I did 1/3 of:
Pine Bark
Coco Coir
Perlite

Would that be good enough?

I plan on using Eric's mix of Perlite and Coco Coir at a 4:1 ratio next spring.

Or even 50/50 coco coir and perlite. Not sure if excluding the pine bark will negatively impact the tree.

Back
Top Bottom