Styling Advice For Hokkaido Elm

BonsaiMan2998

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, I got this Hokkaido Elm at a nursery today, and I was wondering if any of you had some styling advice for this tree. I was thinking a clump style might be good or an informal upright. What are your opinions?
IMG_2871.jpegIMG_2870.jpegIMG_2869.jpegIMG_2868.jpeg

Welcome aboard!

Seems you already have a mother/daughter sort of thing going on naturally. I would lean into it.
That's the main, larger tree, with a secondary smaller trunk (in some cases it's actually a separate tree) coming from the same base. Each can be done in different, but complimentary styles.

Piece of advice from the forum regulars: adding a general location and growing zone to your profile will help us know your climate better, which makes a big difference in what you do when with your tree.

Welcome aboard!

Seems you already have a mother/daughter sort of thing going on naturally. I would lean into it.
That's the main, larger tree, with a secondary smaller trunk (in some cases it's actually a separate tree) coming from the same base. Each can be done in different, but complimentary styles.

Piece of advice from the forum regulars: adding a general location and growing zone to your profile will help us know your climate better, which makes a big difference in what you do when with your tree.
Ok, thank you so much for the help.

Hiya!
I just got a Hokkaido elm, and hope not to kill this one! The branches are brittle, and don't like wiring or severe trimming. This one came with a multi trunk, and loads of twiggy branches, but rather vertically bunched in shipping. To spread out the branches for training , I had a breanstorm and rescued the rest of the foam peanuts from out of a new of my new wrightia.
ightia...
Carefully pulled little branches down, and started inserting peanuts in between. Looks silly as all get out, but just might work.
20240531_164009.jpg20240531_164009.jpg20240531_163819.jpg
Next job is to tip the ends of each branch let with my embroidery scissors, to encourage backbudding and ramifications.
Keep us posted on your methods. I need all the help I can get to keep her alive!

Back
Top Bottom