Stop Needlecast before it starts!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Quick question, Assume I follow the recommendation here.

Copper + Daconil (alternate every week) + Systemic (Spring and another after 2 weeks after decandle).

Do I need to remove "All" the needle with needle cast ? (1-2 year needle?).

Or I dont need to remove all since all the new needle have protection already?

thanks
Chris
If the needles are healthy, you don’t have to remove them.

On my pines, I tend to remove the old needles because it looks tidier. And it opens up the canopy for sunlight.

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Quick question, Assume I follow the recommendation here.

Copper + Daconil (alternate every week) + Systemic (Spring and another after 2 weeks after decandle).

Do I need to remove "All" the needle with needle cast ? (1-2 year needle?).

Or I dont need to remove all since all the new needle have protection already?

thanks
Chris
The advice I've seen is twice a year for copper,
once every other month for other sprays. I don't know about granular systemics. I'm planning on covering the soil next time I spray copper, it's not the nutrient I want to be adding really.

Re needles, I think it's a balancing act.
I've read some people saying don't remove needles. Definitely remove and destroy dead needles, don't leave any lying around. I remove any needles that look really badly infected, or are yellow or brown at the base. For needles that just have brown spots, I've been cutting the needles back to just beyond the spots. I'm hoping this stimulates needle buds as well. I can remove the rest of the needle later. I regularly dip tools in alcohol.

If you want to reduce infection, you need to stop the fungus sporulating - the fruit bodies that release spores are the small black bits on the needle. Remove infected material as or before the black bits appear.

20210411_090819.jpg
I took this needle off today that I missed on my last round. Definitely ripe in the fungus world!

Top Bottom