Spring time in Kiwi land

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
No not at all. I ment continue. Told you I was drunk ;)

So I am hoping to keep this thread active each NZ spring as my little trees evolve etc. I don’t have much land to plant my maples in the ground. I have even asked wifey if I could shrink our 100 square meter lawn by a few square meters so I can give them some ground treatment etc for a few years :D:D:(
Anyway, feel free to share your thoughts as ‘the more the merrier’ to learn with.
Charles

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So many beautiful maples :D

Hi Cole,
Thank you for your comment.

Hopefully you could update your profile so I ( and others ) know where you live. Also apart from maples what other trees do you enjoy growing?
Charles

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I did some late summer cuttings (August), but the garden soil I put them in is very compact. I thought that they would all die, but I think some will make it out: they still have a few green leaves, and the brown leaves fall when you touch them. I't usually a good sign, for if the dried leaves stay on the stem, it means the cutting didn't take.

The one I'm particularly eager to see taking root is the 'Beni Hagoromo'...

13:26 here.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I did some late summer cuttings (August), but the garden soil I put them in is very compact. I thought that they would all die, but I think some will make it out: they still have a few green leaves, and the brown leaves fall when you touch them. I't usually a good sign, for if the dried leaves stay on the stem, it means the cutting didn't take.

The one I'm particularly eager to see taking root is the 'Beni Hagoromo'...

13:26 here.

Hi Alain,
I have tried hardwood cuttings of many of the cultivars here but nearly all have failed. I am going to try again around Dec/Jan with mist and bottom heat at work and see if I get better luck.
I look forward to hearing if your ‘Beni Hagoromo’ puts roots out and survives your winter.
Charles

cole morton

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi Cole,
Thank you for your comment.

Hopefully you could update your profile so I ( and others ) know where you live. Also apart from maples what other trees do you enjoy growing?
Charles
Just updated my profile! I am rather new to Bonsai, but I now have along with my j. maples, a Chinese elm, spruce, and some large leaf maples. A humble, but growing collection :).

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
View media item 3967 View media item 3968Hi all,

A few photo updates

I have done a shed load of air-layers so fingers crossed I get a few to work.
1 failure already from JM “Aratama” but due to internet search it won’t root anyway.
Gone with a 2 litre pot doubled up with perlite/bark as a 50/50 mix. I am getting impatient but lol it only been about 4/5 weeks.

Top Bottom