Sorce pots

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Our man Sorce graciously sent me a couple of his pots.

I can only say "Wow! Nice work."

Even though he has only been working for a very short time as a bonsai potter, his knowledge of bonsai and what how pots interact with trees shines through in his containers' construction and sensitivity. Nice designs, nice clay choices--and both are rectangles... a rarity among new bonsai potters who usually make round pots that look like baking dishes with holes.

The glaze on one Sorce sent along to me is not one of those "HEY LOOK AT ME, I'M SPECIAL" concoctions that some "bonsai" potters favor these days, but is subtle and has some soul.

The pots are actually functional--which small pots often aren't-- attention to detail-drain holes and slots to keep tie down wires out of the way (!). I thought the "snaky" feet on the glazed rectangle were a particularly innovative, creative detail that I haven't seen before.

I have found that all this is NOT a common thing for bonsai potters who haven't actually done bonsai. I've spent time with some potters in person hoping to show them that they can't just do what they want and add drainage holes to it. It's frustrating. Sorce is anything but.

I hope Sorce continues down the road he's on. We need more bonsai potters with a clue about actual bonsai and how they work and with the passion he brings to his effort.

Way to go man!

Attachments

• sorce1.jpg
    sorce1.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 343
  • sorce2.jpg
    sorce2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 352
  • sorce3.jpg
    sorce3.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 339
  • sorce4.jpg
    sorce4.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 330

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you so much Rock!

I see you cashed the check I sent you to type the review I wrote!
Lol! (Sarcasm)

I don't know what else to say!

Except maybe....
It feels a bit like cheating....
When a pot's creation begins with an end user already in mind, it's as if the Clay, the Earth, knows this and builds itself thru me!

Did you find the Bully? New Pic!

He was already on the pot, I just accentuated him!

Damn, if you do find em and get the pic....
Maybe you can get the after shot of this Shrinkage check that I forgot to take!
20171223_072701_HDR.jpg

Welcome to Crazy!

I have a drawer full of loose screws!;)

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you so much Rock!

I see you cashed the check I sent you to type the review I wrote!
Lol! (Sarcasm)

I don't know what else to say!

Except maybe....
It feels a bit like cheating....
When a pot's creation begins with an end user already in mind, it's as if the Clay, the Earth, knows this and builds itself thru me!

Did you find the Bully? New Pic!

He was already on the pot, I just accentuated him!

Damn, if you do find em and get the pic....
Maybe you can get the after shot of this Shrinkage check that I forgot to take!
View attachment 173676

Welcome to Crazy!

I have a drawer full of loose screws!;)

Sorce
HA! I am pretty slow, so I didn't pick up that you had hidden a bullie on the pot. I gotta go look...!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@sorce
When will we all get a free pot?
You already sent me some seeds. I just haven't got them yet.

Got em out today! Sorry!

I do like the tie down slots as long as they don't weaken the overall structure. Good going Sorce!

The one I took the picture with unannealed copper in, I tore it out with pliers as a test.

Golden!

I realized my pots are a little thicker than most....cuz a the windowsill!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@sorce :)
Artistry apart, I think this is the best you would expect.
Our Man!!!
Keep on going!

Y'alls support got me a new 50 lbs of some @theone420 ...Standard 420 sculpture clay!

With a lot of grog and little shrink, big, non-rocking forms may not evade me anymore!

And with enough new underglaze colors to finish some Soriginals, I may actually get to show you some of the REALLY cool stuff soon!;)

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Heavy pot = New potter.

On a wheel!

Don't schtick me in that Pigeonhole Bama!:p That got the potential to have the Sorceress bitchin* for 6 more months!:(

You know I'm slab building!

But for real.

I rolled a couple things too thin, well not too thin. ..but too thin to be more than the little bits they are.

I got 3/8th slats now that leave me at a 1/4 or less...
@Brian Van Fleet truthfully, I've never held a Damn rectangle or slab oval to even know how thick they are!

@Smoke just a bunch of wheel thrown mostly rounds!

Is 1/4 too thick?

Anything less seems too fragile.

I'm trying to put weight where APPROPRIATE.
Like that tall narrow joint for Owen...
The walls are 1/4 now cuz I compressed the hell out of it...but the bottom is 3/4 on purpose.
To hold them leaners.

Anything set for a literati, or that foresees something taller, more leany....
I make em heavier on purpose.

I'm not saying I'm not new. It just cant last long!
I'm not saying the other x amount of pots/potters out there aren't good..they are......

I am saying .....

Once people use my pots....
I want them to wish their other pots had some of the same "bonsai convenient" attributes as mine!

If they ain't better than the rest, Ill be giving em away forever!*:rolleyes:

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've never held a Damn rectangle or slab oval to even know how thick they are!
You need to do this to understand the craft. You should get to a show with lots of vendors, and pick up and hold and feel and listen to Japanese, and Chinese, and the great American potters to understand what makes great pots. It's not all about the glaze! Feel is quite a bit of it, and heavy pots won't work for most folks after a certain size.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
after a certain size

To the large?

Like...don't make a big pot uncarryable?

I was frigging amazed at the delicateness and featherlight weight of the Lubos pots.....

But I can not shake the image of mine breaking down the road and someone being upset.

How thick is the pot Piggy is in?

Sorce

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You need to do this to understand the craft. You should get to a show with lots of vendors, and pick up and hold and feel and listen to Japanese, and Chinese, and the great American potters to understand what makes great pots. It's not all about the glaze! Feel is quite a bit of it, and heavy pots won't work for most folks after a certain size.

I think this is one of the most important aspects of learning to make great pots. I've held more than a few pots that were pretty, but just felt...wrong somehow. They were too heavy or not quite proportional or displayed sloppy imperfections in the finishing. One of the first things I do when I hold a pot is flip it over and look at the feet. If they're not attached securely or are finished sloppily, then it says something about the care (or lack thereof) of construction. Feet can be simple in design, but they should be neat and clean.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree. Get out to a show or two when you can. Make a point to do it. Look at, and more importantly pick up and handle, the Japanese and Western pots on sale. Heck, buy one or two if you can.

By and large, the Japanese shohin and mame pots I have are half or a quarter the thickness of the clay in the unglazed pot you sent.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Feet can be simple in design, but they should be neat and clean.

Tidbit logged.

I like to hear how everyone has that little thing that is a make or breaker.

Pedi O'clock!

Sorce

Top Bottom