Sorce pots

Vindeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Our man Sorce graciously sent me a couple of his pots.

I can only say "Wow! Nice work."

Even though he has only been working for a very short time as a bonsai potter, his knowledge of bonsai and what how pots interact with trees shines through in his containers' construction and sensitivity. Nice designs, nice clay choices--and both are rectangles... a rarity among new bonsai potters who usually make round pots that look like baking dishes with holes.

The glaze on one Sorce sent along to me is not one of those "HEY LOOK AT ME, I'M SPECIAL" concoctions that some "bonsai" potters favor these days, but is subtle and has some soul.

The pots are actually functional--which small pots often aren't-- attention to detail-drain holes and slots to keep tie down wires out of the way (!). I thought the "snaky" feet on the glazed rectangle were a particularly innovative, creative detail that I haven't seen before.

I have found that all this is NOT a common thing for bonsai potters who haven't actually done bonsai. I've spent time with some potters in person hoping to show them that they can't just do what they want and add drainage holes to it. It's frustrating. Sorce is anything but.

I hope Sorce continues down the road he's on. We need more bonsai potters with a clue about actual bonsai and how they work and with the passion he brings to his effort.

Way to go man!
I really like the melty looking one. That is pretty badass.

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Asia-Pacific Bonsai Show. I like the bumpy feel of the glaze.

Wow! Thanks for sharing that!

I must try my teapot hand...Soon!;)

That is on of my favorite shapes!
I love the 45degree handle/spout!

Is the base just a stand?

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ah the pot(s) came today, already! Very pleased! Very good quality and that certain undefinable Sorce flair!

Thank you!

Please find Michael Marchand on the Book.
@Tentakelaertje you too!

Kinda nice to have a fresh start!
No foolish Nigerian Friend Adds!
Bonsai, Baseball, and Fam Only!

Add a feller on them Auction groups!
(But click the "not allowed to buy" option!:p:eek:)

:)

Sorce

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

The teapot is as described here. not sure where I got the note but I quoted it some time ago -

"Yokode Kyusu are teapots with the handles placed on the side of the pot. Thanks to the design of these pots, it is easy to pour out every last single drop of tea. It is the teapot that is the most commonly found in Japan, in a wide range of price, from the collector’s item to the cheap-everyday teapot. The most famous kyusu teapots are Tokoname teapots and Banko teapots."

That "base" could be a drinking vessel, looks to me like a serving for one setup but I am no expert.

Grimmy

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score

Sorce
The base is for holding excess water spill. It has a few holes where the teapot sits and a drainage hole at the side near the rim to pour out the water.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Another word...

Facebook Closed my Account ...I think cuz my real name isn't Sorce Beats....

Or cuz Of the Alias Michael Ponder account I had for collecting....

If Facebook doesn't fix this...

I'm going Back to MySpace!

Sorce

So when I looked you up...it said I needed to send a friend request. So your starting over? Rediculous if you ask me.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So when I looked you up...it said I needed to send a friend request. So your starting over? Rediculous if you ask me.

Michael Marchand!

Lol

Pronounced..

(SOR-CEE Beets)

I sent them my drivers license ....

I should have sent them the one I signed "Sorce".

Sorce

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score

Sorce
The teapot is as described here. not sure where I got the note but I quoted it some time ago -

"Yokode Kyusu are teapots with the handles placed on the side of the pot. Thanks to the design of these pots, it is easy to pour out every last single drop of tea.

Grimmy
Yokode kyusu is based on the design of clay pot used for boiling Chinese herb. I visited a pottery workshop in the historical district of Lukang in Taiwan. They made their own teapots, very elegant; and the displays in the shop are simple, products are shown on wooden boards on top of cinder blocks or self made shelves, nothing pretentious. Here are some teapots and cups from the workshop.

The teapot I bought comes with tea cups on a long rectangular ceramic slab. I could also use the slab for displaying mame or kusamono.
3B2B3562-726B-4B69-98CA-6D4ADE68D5D4.jpeg EC3D33A8-7D8B-439E-91C3-DC5F3B135C3A.jpeg BE48FF5E-3CF5-43EE-89C8-F61FB2A46F06.jpeg AD9E9ABF-7C22-492A-97FA-A02079044C2E.jpeg 6AF7D698-4048-459D-8782-BB622766F9A5.jpeg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The base is for holding excess water spill. It has a few holes where the teapot sits and a drainage hole at the side near the rim to pour out the water.

Thank you for that information, customs and traditions vary so much there even from town to town it is very had sometimes to clarify even the simple things :)

Grimmy

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Forgot where I read it, but @MACH5 are you coming to Noelanders as well?
@sorce, I think you know what that means ;)

Tentakels unfortunately I will not be there due to a conflict in my schedule. However, this is one show I must see!

Sorce, good stuff there!! Keep up the great work. And yes I would agree that we need more rectangular bonsai ceramics!!

Reaction score
Tentakels unfortunately I will not be there due to a conflict in my schedule. However, this is one show I must see!

Sorce, good stuff there!! Keep up the great work. And yes I would agree that we need more rectangular bonsai ceramics!!

Nahhhh :(
Maybe next time then!

@sorce it feels weird to know your real name is not Sorce lol

Top Bottom