Sorce pots

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd like a 10" pot that would fit for a maple. But I think the postage costs from the US would ruin me ;)

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The walls are 1/4 now cuz I compressed the hell out of it...but the bottom is 3/4 on purpose.
To hold them leaners.

This might be the reason you're getting some rock from your pots once fired. Everything I've read indicates equal thickness of walls and floor plus sloooooow drying are key to having pots sit flat. I've already seen a drastic improvement in the wonkiness of my pots after building a proper drying shelf. The humidity hovers around 80%, which supports slow and even drying of pieces. It's takes a lot longer for them to dry, but I've seen great results from it.

I also start with 1/4" thick walls and floor, but usually shave about a quarter to a half of that off with a rib or flat tool once the shape is set. They'll still be durable after firing as long as they're built correctly!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd like a 10" pot that would fit for a maple. But I think the postage costs from the US would ruin me ;)

Made me check...

Seems under 5 lbs...offers a $35 option...
5-7 and its $60plus...

Not really outside of "why the hell not"....
At $35 since a 10" shallow maple pot shouldn't be THAT heavy!

You ship it I'll build it.

Belgium?

Ok!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Durable and indestructible two diffy's to me! But I'm with you.

I slow dried Vances pot, still the largest to date...in my styrocooler...and it came out wonderful.
Still trying to source a bunch more.

That......
Nice compression.
Some proper boards to flip slabs on...
The Max presented article.

Realizing the backwards....
Saving time is wasting everything!

This new sculpture clay....
(Love hate with the grog...but Damn!)

Its on!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Reaction score
I was actually hoping you would know how that thing works lol. I always use it to see if stuff is evenly thick, but otherwise I have no idea lol.
Gonna ask my dad tonight. It's his tool and he knows how it works (hopefully ;) )

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thing works lol. I always use it to see if stuff

Lol yeah! Ots a little dofferwnt than mine.
But I think the 0-0 Mark is the actual...
4mmlow ...and 6mm?top

Sorce

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was actually hoping you would know how that thing works lol. I always use it to see if stuff is evenly thick, but otherwise I have no idea lol.
Gonna ask my dad tonight. It's his tool and he knows how it works (hopefully ;) )
That's funny.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Tidbit logged.

I like to hear how everyone has that little thing that is a make or breaker.

Pedi O'clock!

Sorce
Sorce,
I like nice and clean lines in a rectangular pot. Straight line needs to be straight. The feet's need to be even on all sides and clean cut as well.
I like yours because of imperfection. I think these fit well on some trees.
Either clean lines or something like yours. Not in the middle.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
To the large?

Like...don't make a big pot uncarryable?

I don't see large or heavy as being a problem, even at my age. What I don't like is the absurd shipping cost. I had a 40 + pound pot shipped from the other side of the Commonwealth and the cost was a tad high... and that was nearby...

So as an example if I wanted to ship it along to someone to take a plant to show the cost of the process gets a bit out of hand...

Grimmy

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Going to try to explain this in my jibberish Engrish... here we go...

For millimeters: In the pic below you can see that the 0 (zero) on the moveable part has passed the 5mm mark on the non-moveable part. So that's 5mm already
On that same movable part you can see the 8.5 mark matches perfectly with a mark on the non-moveable part so that will be 0.85mm
So 5mm + 0.85mm = 5.85mm ;)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
To the large?

Like...don't make a big pot uncarryable?

I was frigging amazed at the delicateness and featherlight weight of the Lubos pots.....

But I can not shake the image of mine breaking down the road and someone being upset.

How thick is the pot Piggy is in?

Sorce
You'd be astonished at how light some of the really good (and stable) pots are. And yes, weight to carry a tree that is already heavy, and the substrate is heavy, then the pot is heavy is an issue.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce,
I like nice and clean lines in a rectangular pot. Straight line needs to be straight. The feet's need to be even on all sides and clean cut as well.
I like yours because of imperfection. I think these fit well on some trees.
Either clean lines or something like yours. Not in the middle.

Oh thank you!

This is exactly how I feel!

Like, yes...this is what it IS...and it is beautiful...

Or perfect perfect.

I don't necessarily want to remain in this comfort zone of mine...
But I've realized that trying to create perfect perfect with imperfect tools, work surfaces, and experience, will only drive me freaking crazy!

Damn this thread is Useful!

Love yall!

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You'd be astonished at how light some of the really good (and stable) pots are. And yes, weight to carry a tree that is already heavy, and the substrate is heavy, then the pot is heavy is an issue.

When I first started buying pots from Ron Lang, they were extremely heavy when he got past the smaller 10-12" pots. Some of the older larger pots, like over 20", that I bought from him 15 or more years ago are built like tanks.. thick walls, blockish feet...big ones weighed over 10 lbs. Back then, he didn't make ovals because they required stretching a round into a longer profile, which can be difficult.

Eventually he learned how to do make pots that are lighter (and cost less to produce, since they don't use as much clay), and less clunky-looking. Took some time and encouragement--which I hope I was part of--Every time I saw Ron at a show back then I'd say "that's a nice round pot IF IT WERE AN OVAL I'D BUY IT.

Top Bottom