Some Maple work

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is a J. maple I obtained by layering a few years back.
Leaves just a bout ready to fall off... Pulled out of it's deep pot ready for a shallower one..P1090955.JPG

Was not too happy with either the straightness (I hate straight lines) of the right branch or the way it emerged from the trunk...

P1090956.JPG

So I cut it off!
I think (hope) you will agree that it has a smoother, more natural line without it.

P1090958.JPG

Leaves removed and a bit of wire..

P1090959.JPG

Next problem was the apex. Way to heavy. In fact a lot of the upper part of the tree is too heavy but I can't really do to much about that. However, I can fix the the apex by making a new one....always thinking of the future...and probably never getting there!

P1090960.JPG

Apex removed..

P1090962.JPG

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is a J. maple I obtained by layering a few years back.
Leaves just a bout ready to fall off... Pulled out of it's deep pot ready for a shallower one..View attachment 104519

Was not too happy with either the straightness (I hate straight lines) of the right branch or the way it emerged from the trunk...

View attachment 104520

So I cut it off!
I think (hope) you will agree that it has a smoother, more natural line without it.

View attachment 104521

Leaves removed and a bit of wire..

View attachment 104522

Next problem was the apex. Way to heavy. In fact a lot of the upper part of the tree is too heavy but I can't really do to much about that. However, I can fix the the apex by making a new one....always thinking of the future...and probably never getting there!

View attachment 104523

Apex removed..

View attachment 104524
wonderful tree!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It did look good, then it appears you changed the planting angle, and tilted it back to the left.
Good root work. You must have very mild winters to do this work in the fall.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice work. In that last photo it seems you changed the potting angle. Personally, I liked it better when that trunk on the right side had a slight angle to the right. The new potting makes it look more straight-upright. However....maybe in person it looks more balanced the way you have it placed now. It could also just be the camera angle being slightly different. Just my perspective.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kinda wish you didn't cut it off....the right branch....

But it is still badass.

Sorce

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wonderful tree and great looking nebari. However, I would not have cut that right branch or changed planting angle. That's just me.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree.

It's interesting what "bothers" people. I had no issue with the straightness of that branch, and think the tree looked better with it. Looks off balance now (maybe part of that is the slight angle change). But it's your tree and I can't really see the full effect from a photo. I'm guessing you'll probably develop the branching some more on that right side to compensate?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I wanted to be contrarian and tell you the changes were perfect!.... But I have to agree with what just about everyone else said- liked the old angle better, and the right trunk looks incomplete now, the scar where the branch was removed stands out..

BUT! Allllllll these critiques are just suggestions/ advice/ people trying to help because this is a great tree!

You have a wonderful base, fantastic root spread, the three trunks are nicely balanced and play off each other well... Similar movement, the size to height ratios look good...

I really really like it! Before/ after.. Both great images, the more shallow pot really works... Just shows the value of air layering... Amazing what we can get so quickly from a well done layer!

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think it appears a little out of balance now (after the slight lean to the left) because of the apex. Replacing the original apex has thrown the balance out, but I'm confident that as it grows and fills in, balance will be restored and the sight lean will give it a bit more of a dynamic presence. Eventually the apex will be brought more or less back directly over the base. That's the plan anyway.

I ran out of top space but kinda like this... If it still appear out of balance then I can always tilt it back a tad.

md1.PNG

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
graft in a branch back in where you cut it off, more horizontal this time and with movement you like

Top Bottom