Some advice for Juniper and spruce?

Monkey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok, so I've been off and on somewhat with bonsai for a bit. Recently got bit by the bug and decided to pick up a couple of cheap trees to play with. One is a Bird's Nest Spruce, and the other is a Juniper horizantalis 'Blue Chip'. I was more confident with the blue chip so I got it in an old plastic bonsai pot I had and gave it a pretty good trim so I could see it's structure some. The spruce...I'm more apprehensive about. I've seen some great spruce bonsai, but I've read more bad than good. I've trimmed of as much as I'm brave enough to, and I think I'm going to let it grow out for the summer and maybe try making alterations come fall. I'm going to post pics of both trees so any care and/or styling tips would be greatly appreciated. These trees are both mostly unaltered, having had maybe a half hour of work each. 20170124_130723.jpg 20170124_130728.jpg 20170124_130735.jpg 20170124_130741.jpg 20170124_131238.jpg 20170124_131251.jpg

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't be scared of spruce. They can make good trees, and I've found them harder to kill than pine or collected juniper. They just don't like to be messed with at the wrong time of year, or have too much foliage removed at once. There are several people on this site that can give you great advice on timing, care and styling with spruce. I find they suit a more naturalistic style over the stout little traditional trees you make out of juniper or pine.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another Querquer!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Also these trees NEED to be outside. They are temperate climate trees and need a winter dormancy. Where in town did you pick these up? If they were indoors, then that's how they need to stay until we are clear of any frosts.

Aaron

Monkey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Home Depot, I am aware that these are temperate trees and need to be outdoors. The Juniper is currently indoors only until there is no risk of frost, Spruce is outdoors and has never spent any time indoors.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Home Depot, I am aware that these are temperate trees and need to be outdoors. The Juniper is currently indoors only until there is no risk of frost, Spruce is outdoors and has never spent any time indoors.

Junipers like frost:)

Monkey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Would it be fine even after the big root trim and haircut?

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Would it be fine even after the big root trim and haircut?

No, it's the wrong time of year for such work. Wait until mid-late April for that. Here's the living conditions for this Juniper of mine this winter..

003_zpsa4mwhqaq.jpg

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Although, if you've had it indoors I wouldn't introduce it to the outdoors this week because there is going to be a serious temperature drop starting tonight with night time temps dropping down into the low 20's and then into the low teens for the next 7 or so days. If you have an unheated garage or unheated structure that's were i'd put it.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Although, if you've had it indoors I wouldn't introduce it to the outdoors this week because there is going to be a serious temperature drop starting tonight with night time temps dropping down into the low 20's and then into the low teens for the next 7 or so days. If you have an unheated garage or unheated structure that's were i'd put it.
I'd keep it inside in as much light as possible until spring, it's cold hardiness is gone now and won't return until fall.

Aaron

Monkey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Also, I'm looking forward to playing with some of the prolific elms we have come spring. I've read that the Siberian elms suffer branch dieback, but they are good for learning, and they're so prolific around here that I don't think it'd be too depressing to start over if need be.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Also, I'm looking forward to playing with some of the prolific elms we have come spring. I've read that the Siberian elms suffer branch dieback, but they are good for learning, and they're so prolific around here that I don't think it'd be too depressing to start over if need be.
That die back thing is funny, I've never had issues with them. They make great material!

Aaron

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got an HD Blue Chip right now!

From Oregon.

Is yours growing?

I might give mine the MF treatment too!

Sorce

Top Bottom