Soil recommendation - Arbequina Olive

MartyB

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello again,

I recently acquired a Arbequina olive tree from a local outfit; it had a label from a California nursery (fourwindsgrowers.com). I am not crazy about the soil its in, it seems to be some sort of mulchy cedar-like, an off-red colored mulch of some sort.

I'd appreciate some advice on some better draining soil, as well as when I can attempt to repot it into this soil. I am currently in zone 5b so summer temps are in the 25-32C ranges in july and august, and around october-november when temperatures are below 10C I have a temperate location I keep my trees until the beastly winter is over.

So any tips as to what composition of soil I can put together as well as whether or not I need to wait till next spring would be appreciated for this newbie. thanks!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
seems to be

Should be....

"Know for sure".

It's just one of those things.

A lot of times they just throw a topper on crap...not they, the place you bought it from particularly....
But it is best to dig in, or pull it up, and find out.

Sorce

MartyB

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Should be....

"Know for sure".

It's just one of those things.

A lot of times they just throw a topper on crap...not they, the place you bought it from particularly....
But it is best to dig in, or pull it up, and find out.

Sorce

well I don't have a spectrum analyzer to determine the chemical makeup of this soil :). Here are some pics. and as far down as I dig, I have at least 5 inches of this in a nursery pot. Spongy, not soggy wet but moist.

Attachments

• olive2.jpg
    olive2.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 22
  • olive3.jpg
    olive3.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 21

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Funny I just planted one of these in the backyard of my parents' house in Texas. The tree is marginally hardy in Zone 7 east Texas. It was in similar soil. I has blasted it all out with water and planted it in the ground. Apparently it has pushed a foot of new growth and has bloomed repeatedly. It already had a crop of tiny olives on it.

If you have one in Canada, low-frost winter storage is a must. Free draining soil would do it some good too.

Interesting stuff here on cold and flowering
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/fruit-nut/files/2010/10/olives.pdf

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol....I don't know where our olive keepers are...Probly cutting rampant ass growth!

But with the way they respond to root pruning, I reckon you can repot it now.

But that soil doesn't seem awful.

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In early June, I bare rooted mine and put it in Boon's Mix. Same mix as for a pine.

They'll tolerate the occasional frost. But not a "freeze" if you get what I mean. In winter, in Canada, I'd give it the same treatment as you would a ficus.

Top Bottom