SoCal Theft

thomas rooks

Seedling
Reaction score
I've heard of thefts on trees, and Bonsai Trees are just as important as any collection you chose to have. Even more so, a lot of people do not realize what these trees are worth and the time taken to get them there. I have two red nose pitbulls that do not take to anyone snooping by, they are fenced in at my garden.

Rambles

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My trees are nothing worth stealing on their own, but around here we have people that just pick up and walk off with stuff because it isn't nailed down, and it it is nailed down, they'll keep wrenching at it until either 1) it is no longer nailed down or 2) it is broken.

I have thought about getting the little RFID tracker chips and hiding them up in the root mass at some point. Ping my trees with my phone the way a vet might scan a dog's chip.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Even living in rural Illinois... one year I planted three landscape pines down by the street. That December two of them were gone except for the stumps. Someone cut them down for Christmas trees :(

Gotta wonder about the morality of a person if they celebrate Christmas... with stolen goods.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have thought about getting the little RFID tracker chips and hiding them up in the root mass at some point. Ping my trees with my phone the way a vet might scan a dog's chip.
:confused:
Nice engineering dream, but RFID is, in essence, an electronic UPC. Your dream requires that a gps cell phone (with a battery) be potted in the tree.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Even living in rural Illinois... one year I planted three landscape pines down by the street. That December two of them were gone except for the stumps. Someone cut them down for Christmas trees :(

Gotta wonder about the morality of a person if they celebrate Christmas... with stolen goods.
Wow....wow....

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've heard of thefts on trees, and Bonsai Trees are just as important as any collection you chose to have. Even more so, a lot of people do not realize what these trees are worth and the time taken to get them there. I have two red nose pitbulls that do not take to anyone snooping by, they are fenced in at my garden.
A guy after my own heart!
I use a German Shepherd Dog.
No fence. No beware of dog signs. Come on in at your own risk. Meet Rupert.
I've found that the thought of a dog is a great deterrent. Seeing one keeps all but the most determined out.
Just hearing about someone being tore into by one keeps them all out.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A guy after my own heart!
I use a German Shepherd Dog.
No fence. No beware of dog signs. Come on in at your own risk. Meet Rupert.
I've found that the thought of a dog is a great deterrent. Seeing one keeps all but the most determined out.
Just hearing about someone being tore into by one keeps them all out.
You may think this, but it is really sight of all those vole tunnels :rolleyes:;)

Rambles

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Fortunately, we have a homeless population around here that are quick to report things they see because they're more likely to get rolled by the thieves than I am.

The thieves seem to all be a pretty similar demographic- young white male meth user.

Top Bottom