Snow Rose Exposed Root Ball

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi guys,

So I bought a Snow Rose a couple of weeks ago now. I had a hard time placing it at first so it's moved around a few times but I've finally got a good spot for it (east facing balcony, outside, wind protected, sheltered over top), but I noticed that over time some of the perfectly healthy green leaves started to lighten and yellow which apparently is a sign of overwatering, but then some of them also just started getting crusty brown tips (apparently underwatering). I noticed that the nursery I bought it from had piled soil in the middle creating a kind of dome affect, and realised that was drying out far quicker than the rest of the bonsai, and potentially causing this too wet/too dry environment.

So what I've done is remove a lot of this middle soil (gently with a wooden chopstick) but now I'm afraid I've exposed the root ball? As this is my first time with bonsai I don't really know what I'm doing I'm mostly going off instinct here. I would love to know if the root ball needs to be re-covered, or if its fine now and just needs to be trimmed, or if it needs a re pot or something!

Any help/answers greatly appreciated as I couldn't find much about this online.

Attachments

• original soil.jpg
    original soil.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 30
  • exposed root ball.jpg
    exposed root ball.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 26
  • browing leaves.jpg
    browing leaves.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 27
  • yellowing leaves.jpg
    yellowing leaves.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 25
  • leaves.jpg
    leaves.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 27
  • new soil.jpg
    new soil.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 31
I don't have a snow rose myself, but if they behave like any other species, your tree should be fine. You did expose part of the root ball, but it shouldn't hurt the tree. For what it's worth, that's how those larger exposed roots were created. They were grown in soil and then exposed.

I'd be more concerned that the tree is indoors, and it seems to be planted in poorly-drained soil.

You'll get better advice if you enter your location in your profile. I don't think you need to worry about the roots based on the pictures, and I've seen much worse leaves on mine.

Serissa japonica can be a picky species, and it can be difficult at times to keep it happy, and it will let you know. Mine would drop leaves if I moved it to a new location or looked at funny. It loves sunlight so the more the better in your new outside location assuming it's summer where you live. It likes to dry out in between waterings, but it doesn't like to stay dry, so you have to be rather attentive. Are you using any fertilizers? Have you checked it for pests? When I bought mine I was warned it's difficult to care for and I took that as a challenge. I managed to keep it alive for a year and half, but I lost it when I over fertilized it with MG. So, I recommend a slow release fert for it. Good luck Hot Dog Man! I'll take two with mustard and onions. :)

Last edited:
I don't have a snow rose myself, but if they behave like any other species, your tree should be fine. You did expose part of the root ball, but it shouldn't hurt the tree. For what it's worth, that's how those larger exposed roots were created. They were grown in soil and then exposed.

I'd be more concerned that the tree is indoors, and it seems to be planted in poorly-drained soil.
Ok great, thats great to know!

So it's been moved outside now for summer, the indoors photo was before I moved it.

Yeah the soil isn't great, I wanted to repot but was worried it was too late in the year now? Everywhere said early spring and we're just approaching summer here (UK).

You'll get better advice if you enter your location in your profile. I don't think you need to worry about the roots based on the pictures, and I've seen much worse leaves on mine.

Serissa japonica can be a picky species, and it can be difficult at times to keep it happy, and it will let you know. Mine would drop leaves if I moved it to a new location or looked at funny. It loves sunlight so the more the better in your new outside location assuming it's summer where you live. It likes to dry out in between waterings, but it doesn't like to stay dry, so you have to be rather attentive. Are you using any fertilizers? Have you checked it for pests? When I bought mine I was warned it's difficult to care for and I took that as a challenge. I managed to keep it alive for a year and half, but I lost it when I over fertilized it with MG. So, I recommend a slow release fert for it. Good luck Hot Dog Man! I'll take two with mustard and onions. :)
Will get on that! I'm UK based.

Yeah I have heard this. They misled me a bit at the nursery and said it wasn't to bad to care for and then I got home and all the advise said they were tricky lol. Same same though I'm excited for the challenge.

No fertilisers as of yet, I'm waiting for it to adjust to new position outside. Considering how much I've moved in the past couple weeks I'm surprised it's not in worse off condition! Will check out slow release fertilisers.

Appreciate all the advise :)

Getcha hot dawgs

Will get on that! I'm UK based.

Yeah I have heard this. They misled me a bit at the nursery and said it wasn't to bad to care for and then I got home and all the advise said they were tricky lol. Same same though I'm excited for the challenge.

No fertilisers as of yet, I'm waiting for it to adjust to new position outside. Considering how much I've moved in the past couple weeks I'm surprised it's not in worse off condition! Will check out slow release fertilisers.

Appreciate all the advise :)

Getcha hot dawgs
Maybe ask the nursery you got it from the last time it was repotted, and go from there. If I remember correctly they like to be repotted every three years or so. If the soil you have it in is draining properly I'd wait till next spring for a repot, & concentrate on keeping it healthy, vigorous, and enjoy the flowers. Learning to water properly (any species not just serissa) during each season is one of the more difficult tasks in Bonsai. I also remember questioning what was the proper soil for these as it's native land is sub tropical wetlands & bogs. TY for adding your location, adding your USDA zone is helpful too. :)

Maybe ask the nursery you got it from the last time it was repotted, and go from there. If I remember correctly they like to be repotted every three years or so. If the soil you have it in is draining properly I'd wait till next spring for a repot, & concentrate on keeping it healthy, vigorous, and enjoy the flowers. Learning to water properly (any species not just serissa) during each season is one of the more difficult tasks in Bonsai. I also remember questioning what was the proper soil for these as it's native land is sub tropical wetlands & bogs. TY for adding your location, adding your USDA zone is helpful too. :)
Smart, will get in contact with them. Yeah I was thinking just give it till next spring and go from there.

Wil make sure to add USDA zone!

Back
Top Bottom