Small table

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Here is a small stand of my own design. The top is 4”x6”. I intended to be building larger stands, but I wanted to try a design that was more fun as is allowed with an accent stand.
B6F60CAD-9924-49B1-98BC-6199BB3C32D8.jpegABC8A409-D8A2-4ED2-AC68-FE4044CC7F99.jpeg8CF4A1B4-38FF-412A-ADC0-BD9F4B563B35.jpeg
The top is streaked and figured maple. The legs are walnut and the stringers are maple. I think it would work well with a small accent, but I’d love to see it with an old but tiny black pine also.

I thought the simpler design would be easier to make but of course was wrong. The legs are tiny and a complete bitch to cut on the scroll saw as they need to be accurate for everything to align correctly. I had to find special precision blades and still cut ten just to get four I liked.

I’ve also begun building storage boxes for my stands which are fun to make, although their design is pretty much copied from the Facebook page of MB Bonsai Tables with just a little customization. They are primarily mdf which I like the rustic look of a lot when stained and finished with one application of tung oil and rubbed smooth with steel wool. The splines and door pull are maple, the door birch ply, the front trim walnut, and the lining is thin black foam.
521B5EC2-6B94-48D0-834F-47A5E75CE200.jpegD74A4D0D-53AE-4E1C-8D5F-8686FBF1D9F2.jpeg FBF71ADF-C699-40A4-983C-B2FA2490E8F5.jpeg
I sign my tables and their boxes with my initials and a serial number, so this is the sixth one. All the others have been posted here except the fifth which was specially made for someone and sold. I expect I will skip MS 13 for obvious reasons.

I’m working on a 5x7 version of this design now. Anyway, let me know what you think.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dope Bro...

Might as well leave whatever is in the studio how it is now, know what I'm saying!

It sure ain't broke right now!

If you'll take a trade I'm calling dibs.

Sorce

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks Sorce!

I will likely keep these for a while. Maybe use them as sales samples if I ever decide to try harder to sell. For now though if someone wants something in particular I would consider building it, if I thought it looked interesting and was within my ability. Looking forward to seeing your next batch of pots.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Sorce!

I will likely keep these for a while. Maybe use them as sales samples if I ever decide to try harder to sell. For now though if someone wants something in particular I would consider building it, if I thought it looked interesting and was within my ability. Looking forward to seeing your next batch of pots.

Pulling a bisque fire out this morning!

If you cared to try your hand at a tiny 2 level mame stand....I'd like to see it!

Make no mistake I love these stands....

But to be useable in a show.....properly useable in a traditional show that is....

They gotta be darker!

I know I know....it sucks!

But your forms are such that NEED to make it to a show!

Lovely!

Sorce

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Here is a small stand of my own design. The top is 4”x6”. I intended to be building larger stands, but I wanted to try a design that was more fun as is allowed with an accent stand.

I’m working on a 5x7 version of this design now. Anyway, let me know what you think.
That's beautiful work, and I love your design. My woodworking skills topped out at building a dog house a few decades ago, so I'm pretty much in awe of anyone who can do more. Your work is just gorgeous.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful work !!

Why not test out an image with a tree on it ?

See how the balance and harmony works.
Good Day
Anthony

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Pulling a bisque fire out this morning!

If you cared to try your hand at a tiny 2 level mame stand....I'd like to see it!

Sorce
Ah. That is something I would like to attempt some day. If I can come up with a design I like I may try it. I haven’t seen many designs I like ... if you have a favorite I could use for inspiration ...

They gotta be darker!

Sorce
Now that is the kind of feedback I need! This is an accent stand so I don’t think the same rules apply, just as accent and mame pots can generally be more colorful and showy than larger ones as you know, and I obviously didn’t try to make it dark. But the others, yes I do need to make them darker. Thanks. I’m not too sure about my finishes either. Torn on whether I need higher gloss. It may depend on the stand.

But your forms are such that NEED to make it to a show!

Sorce
Again thanks. My secret desire is to have a stand in a good show with a really nice tree, above a level I will ever have, displayed on it. Gotta keep improving maybe someday.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice work, excellent skill level to mine eyes......of course, I only know how to manipulate this little piece of "wood" of mine, so.........:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Looks a bit bulky, the top....but I like stuff of this nature to be very simple. To focus more on whatever planting may adorn it....:cool::confused:;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks ... good observation regarding the top. I think the dark shadow under the stringers accentuates the top more ... but, the top is actually a bit thicker than my design sketch calls for. Good catch. Proportions are so important and it turns out the hardest thing to get right with these things.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pretty, the term for the maple is "spalted". I like the feeling. Would love to see it in the larger form. Get busy!

I should be working on stands myself but this lady thing is work I am not accustomed to!

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks Al, I particularly appreciate your commenting! And @Anthony I am not ignoring your response, but I realized that I really don’t have a tree small enough to display on this. It is, once the shaping of the edges is taken into account, really a lot smaller than I anticipated, so yes Al I’m working on the 5x7. I’m not changing the size of the legs so the aspect ratio will change.

The figuring is like a birds eye effect, but I wasn’t sure about the cause of the streaking. Was thinking more likely a “mineral” streak, as spalting I thought looked more like this with sharper and thinner lines and was caused by fungus. But I don’t know for sure. This was wood left over from a living room floor I laid a few years ago, much of which has figuring in it and some streaks. The piece I used was the most interesting of the left overs, but I can go back to the mill I bought from and pick through the stacks of lumber for more.
7BB55B1C-0558-4E5B-A464-02F333333168.jpeg

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Velodog2 ,

the effect shows up on ficus wood as well.
Very attractive.
Never looked up why ?
Good Day
Anthony

* A friend left a dead large Ficus bonsai here. A small
box was made with those streaks,
Returned to him as a memory ------- apologies -- no images.
Just a memory.

Ficus is a soft wood though.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Wandering around yesterday I ended up back at the mill I got this maple from as a buddy had said they had a stock of exotic lumber that I wanted to check out. And they do, and the prices are very reasonable. I got 3 board feet of Bolivian rosewood, or morado, for about a third of online prices. I think I will be designing more small tables as a result to use this fancy wood with. At least this wood is dark ..

Top Bottom