Slip pot and air layer at the same time?

jdonchig

Seed
Reaction score
Quick question. I just managed to buy a ton of young fruit trees when a local big box store was clearing out inventory. I want to kill two birds by shortening them down while also potentially air layering what I'd otherwise just be removing from the top. I'd never completely repot and air layer at the same time, but has anyone had experience with trying to air layer at the same time as a simple slip potting?

Slip potting causes minimal disturbance and minimal stress so there's no problem layering (or any other operation) at the same time.
Just be sure you slip pot properly - need to tease some roots out of the existing root ball and/or cut some circling roots because roots don't cross from one soil type to another easily. Neither does water.

Slip potting causes minimal disturbance and minimal stress so there's no problem layering (or any other operation) at the same time.
Just be sure you slip pot properly - need to tease some roots out of the existing root ball and/or cut some circling roots because roots don't cross from one soil type to another easily. Neither does water.
Good points. This very reason... I've just never slip potted. Preferring actual root work and a proper repot.

Thank you both for your responses, much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom