Sifted pine bark super fines

firefighter616

Seedling
Reaction score
I have sifted out the super fines from my pine bark mulch.

What can I do with them. I have like 30 pounds

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_3135.jpeg
    IMG_3135.jpeg
    316.3 KB · Views: 30
I have a 5 gallon bucketful and am often left wondering the same thing. I actually started using sifted compost, because I know whats left over can be tossed into a potting mix / the garden etc. I find the super fines are hydrophobic, almost worse than dry peat. I've seen succulent people use it to start leaf propagations...

I have a 5 gallon bucketful and am often left wondering the same thing. I actually started using sifted compost, because I know whats left over can be tossed into a potting mix / the garden etc. I find the super fines are hydrophobic, almost worse than dry peat. I've seen succulent people use it to start leaf propagations...
I am glad I did it. 16 cubic feet yielded a lot of super and these bag of pine bark were near prefect size on the large size.

very happy with the end product just would like to find a good use for the super fines

I heard blueberries like it. Maybe to make the soil more acidic

Grow moss on it, use as lawn fertilizer, sell it to weed growers, sell it to mushroom growers (although they prefer hardwoods).
Compress and burn it.

Super fine bark can be a good component for seed raising mix.
That only uses small amounts. The rest goes into the compost bin or directly on the lawn or garden beds.

i dump all of my fines under my podocarpus hedges in parts that are drying out too quickly. they dont belong in any of my pots, but help with water retention under hedges so I dont gotta be watering constantly.

Your profile doesn’t say where you live, but I’ll assume it’s a place that has landscaping. Use the fines as a cover under any bush or tree.

Not to hijack, but is that where everyone gets their pine bark for bonsai soil? Assuming you don't buy it online for the same price as volcanic components. I haven't been able to ever find "fines" here in Texas. I know it exist as a lawn amendment but have never seen it locally.

Not to hijack, but is that where everyone gets their pine bark for bonsai soil? Assuming you don't buy it online for the same price as volcanic components. I haven't been able to ever find "fines" here in Texas. I know it exist as a lawn amendment but have never seen it locally.
Fellow Texan here. I have a Sutherland's that sells a "Growers Mix" Mulch that has a good consistency and ill just filter out the fines.
I used to buy the big tree mulch bags from Lowe's. They have pine bark fines and wood chips and id sift out the bigger wood chips and smaller fines.

That's pretty much what I'm doing with the lowes pine bark mulch bags too. No Sutherlands around here but I travel the state pretty regularly, might seek one out.

And honestly I dont worry too much about having more organic matter in my mix because of how hot and dry it gets up here in North Texas in July and August.

Back
Top Bottom