Sierra Juniper on Auction Site

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Hey BNuts,

I'm listing this Sierra Juniper on the Facebook Bonsai Auction site later this evening if anyone is interested, it will be a no reserve auction with $25 starting price. Here's some info on it:

Tree

Sierra Juniper –Juniperus Occidentalis Australis . Approx. 16.75inch tall, base approx. 9.5 inches wide. All pictures were taken this morning 10/10/17. This tree was collected by me in 2011 and compared to other Sierra Juniper, has relatively small, tight foliage with a nice blue color and no pollen sacks. Sierra Junipers are some of the hardiest and strongest growing of our native Junipers and do well in a variety of climates. There is a chunk of granite embedded in the trunk which occurred naturally at the time of collection. More recently, as many people have wiggled the piece of granite, it became loose and was re-secured using an adhesive. Future improvements to the tree could include shifting the tree to right in the pot, adding more shari to the trunk, and further development of pads. Another option could be to completely change the front to show off other deadwood features.

Container

This Nakawatari-Antique Chinese container is included and was originally purchased at Aichi-En Bonsai in Japan, the original red clay is covered by heavy patina. Pot is unstamped with its original two holes, it has not been modified in any way and measures 14x9x4.5 inches.

Attachments

• Sierra 1.jpg
    Sierra 1.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 296
  • Sierra 2.jpg
    Sierra 2.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 276
  • Sierra 3.jpg
    Sierra 3.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 255
  • Sierra 4.jpg
    Sierra 4.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 253
  • Sierra 5.jpg
    Sierra 5.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 252
  • Sierra 6.jpg
    Sierra 6.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 251
  • Sierra 7.jpg
    Sierra 7.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 255

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Damn, why are you selling it if you don't mind me asking. Great tree I've seen you post on in your blog.

Sucks about the chunk of granite, hard to keep prying hands away.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks @bleumeon ! I have a kid on the way and we have a bathroom that's gutted and needs to be remodeled. I also have many more Sierra Juniper and want more diversity in my collection long term. Really appreciate the nice words!

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks @bleumeon ! I have a kid on the way and we have a bathroom that's gutted and needs to be remodeled. I also have many more Sierra Juniper and want more diversity in my collection long term. Really appreciate the nice words!
Congrats on the kid. Looks like you'll have a lot more work on your hands. Native sierra junipers are beautiful trees. I enjoy having a lot of tree diversity and grow anything I can, but if I only could grow one species the sierra wouldn't be a bad choice.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
California is a little too far for me to pick it up so I won't be bidding on this beauty. I'm sure it's going to fetch a nice price. Good luck!

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome tree. Good luck with sale and congrats on the baby.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Kids are overrated. I have a couple extra you can have in exchange for the tree :) (just kidding - double pun intended!)

Good luck on the auction!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ve seen the tree in person, and yes, it’s fabulous.

Was it green when you collected it in the mountains? All the Sierra Junipers I saw with Boon last month were green. I was expecting them to be blue since all the ones I’ve seen collected have been blue... I wonder if the elevation has anything to do with that?

Interestingly, a JWP I bought from Jonas last year was much more blue when I bought from him. But at my house, it grows more green.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I’ve seen the tree in person, and yes, it’s fabulous.

Was it green when you collected it in the mountains? All the Sierra Junipers I saw with Boon last month were green. I was expecting them to be blue since all the ones I’ve seen collected have been blue... I wonder if the elevation has anything to do with that?

Interestingly, a JWP I bought from Jonas last year was much more blue when I bought from him. But at my house, it grows more green.

Fun question and that's really interesting about your white pine. I've seen a lot of variation in the foliage color, texture and size in the Sierras I've collected. This one was bluer than many of my others since collecting. In the mountains, Sierras will range from straight green, to greenish blue, to grey blue or a true blue. Usually when you bring them home and get them healthy, the new growth is bluer than the old growth. Some of mine are fairly green even though they are growing vigorously. I'm sure a lot has to do with the natural genetics, but I guess it could also be where you live or just how vigorous the growth is.

Thanks for the bid!!! Hope to see you soon

Dana

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey BNuts,

I'm listing this Sierra Juniper on the Facebook Bonsai Auction site later this evening if anyone is interested, it will be a no reserve auction with $25 starting price. Here's some info on it:

Tree

Sierra Juniper –Juniperus Occidentalis Australis . Approx. 16.75inch tall, base approx. 9.5 inches wide. All pictures were taken this morning 10/10/17. This tree was collected by me in 2011 and compared to other Sierra Juniper, has relatively small, tight foliage with a nice blue color and no pollen sacks. Sierra Junipers are some of the hardiest and strongest growing of our native Junipers and do well in a variety of climates. There is a chunk of granite embedded in the trunk which occurred naturally at the time of collection. More recently, as many people have wiggled the piece of granite, it became loose and was re-secured using an adhesive. Future improvements to the tree could include shifting the tree to right in the pot, adding more shari to the trunk, and further development of pads. Another option could be to completely change the front to show off other deadwood features.

Container

This Nakawatari-Antique Chinese container is included and was originally purchased at Aichi-En Bonsai in Japan, the original red clay is covered by heavy patina. Pot is unstamped with its original two holes, it has not been modified in any way and measures 14x9x4.5 inches.
It is so beautiful. Congratulations on the happy news of a baby on the way and good luck for the auction. This one is a stunning specimen and should fetch a great price.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Yeah I saw that, Looks like your gonna get a good price!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Kirby is bidding. He has deeper pockets than me!

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks all for the nice words on the tree and having the kid, really appreciate it! @bleumeon if I could only have one type to work on it would also be Sierra Juniper. But, i'm glad we don't have to make that decision in real life because I love many types of trees for Bonsai!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Toss another 5.00USD at it 3-4 minutes before the Auction ends perhaps? Seems he killed it for now...

Grimmy
If Kirby buys it, it will live at Boon’s most of the time. I go there 3 or 4 times a year. So, I will get to see it. Maybe even work on it.

The trees at Boon’s are almost like having them myself. Boon doesn’t actually own a lot of them. Probably about half of them. But, I get to see them, see how they’ve changed since the last time I was there. Occasionally I’m in the right place at the right time to be able to buy one.

Sometimes local members of his club bring in trees they would like to sell. I’ve been lucky that way, too.

Buying from other Boon students is a great advantage because you know the roots will be in good soil.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks all for the nice words on the tree and having the kid, really appreciate it! @bleumeon if I could only have one type to work on it would also be Sierra Juniper. But, i'm glad we don't have to make that decision in real life because I love many types of trees for Bonsai!
What? You have trees other than Sierra Juniper? Since when? I haven’t seen one! Lol!!!

Top Bottom