Short story of my little Birch

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
i have always loved birch trees, even growing up not knowing much about them i have always thought of them as such a mysterious yet lovely work of art.
and yours is gorgeous , im going to get some yamadori birch next year, when is the best time to collect birch ?

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
i have always loved birch trees, even growing up not knowing much about them i have always thought of them as such a mysterious yet lovely work of art.
and yours is gorgeous , im going to get some yamadori birch next year, when is the best time to collect birch ?

I used to collect birches from an end of March until the opening of buds which happens around mid-April in my climate. Never lost one after collecting as far as I remember. IMHO worth trying.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've collected one in spring like Maros wrote and two in July. All three successful digs. If you collect in summer, make sure you defoliate a birch on collection.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been trying to identify these trees since we moved up here and they may be Yellow Birch. They are /every/ bloody where up here. I have been really enjoying this thread in the hope that maybe these can be utilized as bonsai. I think I'll try. I have a lot of smaller stock growing along eroded slopes on the mountain, seedlings and possible yamadori all over our fifty+ acres up here. Because I'm not used to birch I initially thought that these were cherries until I tried to place the species by bark identification. Shame I didn't photograph the leaves last season when we moved up here but spring is creeping in and I'll soon have the chance. If anyone doesn't think this is a Yellow Birch, by all means chime in. It'll help when they are in leaf.

Your birch is lovely! I am enjoying the updates and look forward to seeing more.

Attachments

• Yellow Birch.jpg
    Yellow Birch.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 36

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I've been trying to identify these trees since we moved up here and they may be Yellow Birch. They are /every/ bloody where up here. I have been really enjoying this thread in the hope that maybe these can be utilized as bonsai. I think I'll try. I have a lot of smaller stock growing along eroded slopes on the mountain, seedlings and possible yamadori all over our fifty+ acres up here. Because I'm not used to birch I initially thought that these were cherries until I tried to place the species by bark identification. Shame I didn't photograph the leaves last season when we moved up here but spring is creeping in and I'll soon have the chance. If anyone doesn't think this is a Yellow Birch, by all means chime in. It'll help when they are in leaf.

Your birch is lovely! I am enjoying the updates and look forward to seeing more.

Pretty sure it's a yellow Birch, I have one on my lake. The leaves and branches would be a dead giveaway. They look like a Beech or Elm With Jagged edges more than a white Birch.
I have seeds popping up everywhere. Very fast growing seedlings up here.
Yes, the bark looks like cherry/plum trees younger, they take a long time up here to start turning yellow/peel. Yellow is not really accurate IMO, it's a dull yellowish grey/silver.
Mine have shallow roots like that, that grown pretty big.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That sure sounds like it. Ton of them around here. They have smallish leaves so I may try my hand at a few just to see what happens.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
That sure sounds like it. Ton of them around here. They have smallish leaves so I may try my hand at a few just to see what happens.
Try it and you will see if it works or not. You gain some experience along the way and possibly have nice tree at the end.
My birch will come out of the winter storage in few weeks and pictures will be posted shortly after. Greetings

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Spring picture of the birch.

DSC_0429e.jpg

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
just came across this thread and really long journey... wondering if still doing as well as before...

beautiful and rare...

Top Bottom