Shohin Olive

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Quick update: This tree has responded very well to the indoor environment and the fertilizer. It was bursting with buds, so I went ahead and put it in the Sara Rayner pot. It was weird to repot at this time of year, but since it's actively growing and it required no root pruning, I think it's all good. I wish I would've positioned it slightly different, but I can fix that next time.

It has finally replaced all the old crusty leaves with shiny new green ones. I also felt obligated to put tiny ornaments on it, since it's in the office window...

IMG_3123.JPG
IMG_3122.JPG

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Be careful Grant. The flush could be a result of stored energy or even the heating pad. I'm not that familiar with Olives but seek advice about keeping them indoors. A heated greenhouse and inside your house are not the same.

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Be careful Grant. The flush could be a result of stored energy or even the heating pad. I'm not that familiar with Olives but seek advice about keeping them indoors. A heated greenhouse and inside your house are not the same.

Okay, I'll definitely keep an eye on it!

Reactions: Vin

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Let it grow!

Let it get to looking like this:

IMG_0506.JPG

Or maybe even longer before you cut back.

Don't pinch it back.

Olives, when they extend new shoots, tend to send out two side leaves, and one bottom leaf. Once it builds up a head of steam of new growth, you can pull off the bottom leaves. Then, later, you can cut back. When you do, the new shoots will come from the two remaining side leaves, and not the bottom of the branch.

When you cut back, it will look something like this:

IMG_0516.JPG

I've also wired the new shoots. Using aluminum. The wire doesn't stay on very long if it's growing. Maybe two months at most.

Olives develop ramification very quickly!

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let it grow!

View attachment 124649

Don't pinch it back.

Olives, when they extend new shoots, tend to send out two side leaves, and one bottom leaf. Once it builds up a head of steam of new growth, you can pull off the bottom leaves. Then, later, you can cut back. When you do, the new shoots will come from the two remaining side leaves, and not the bottom of the branch.

View attachment 124650

I've also wired the new shoots. Using aluminum. The wire doesn't stay on very long if it's growing. Maybe two months at most.

Thanks for the info! That's a great olive!
I haven't pinched anything yet, I've just rubbed off buds on the trunk and reduced the apex about 1 cm.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You could use more branches. Rubbing off buds down low near the nebari is ok. But if you get some higher up, I'd keep them.

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You could use more branches. Rubbing off buds down low near the nebari is ok. But if you get some higher up, I'd keep them.

Okay, I'll watch for some. I need some back branches for sure. Most of the new buds have been popping where I removed the low left branch and at the base of the other branches.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have plenty of years of experience with mine inside my house overwintering. I have probably been part of the equation here with heating mat, and other suggestions to Grant. Mine grows all winter long in this situation, sometimes in spurts equalling outside in the summer growth! The only thing that I do not know is how they respond to defoliation, but looks like this is going to be fine.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have plenty of years of experience with mine inside my house overwintering. I have probably been part of the equation here with heating mat, and other suggestions to Grant. Mine grows all winter long in this situation, sometimes in spurts equalling outside in the summer growth! The only thing that I do not know is how they respond to defoliation, but looks like this is going to be fine.
That's good to know. What about Bucida spinosa? How well does it do indoors?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That's good to know. What about Bucida spinosa? How well does it do indoors?
A friend of mine has several, and to be honest they are thriving in the oddest place. He has them in a north facing window with no form of artificial light.

Aaron

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't have experience with those, although I have read that they make better indoor subjects than most.

fh05

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let it grow!

View attachment 124649

Don't pinch it back.

View attachment 124650

What kind of olive is this? Will be very good soon under your care.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Kind of Olive? European, I suppose. The person I got this from works at a vineyard, where they also have olive trees. Occasionally, they have to remove an old olive, and my friend is able to take cuttings, stumps, etc.

When I got this, it was basicly a bare trunk, and I've had to grow out all the branches. Under the right conditions, they grow like weeds!

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I Here's a photo update. A couple new branches are emerging. The left side seems to be growing a little more vigorously at the moment, so I've been rotating the tree every few days to get more even light. Still waiting on a bud on the upper right. Maybe when I cut back I'll get one. For now, just letting it get wooly.

IMG_3292.JPG

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
These ramify quickly if you cut to the first pair of leaves when you get the length you want.

Top Bottom