Shohin Goji Berry

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Peter M. aka @maria kapra has inspired me greatly with the amazing shohin art that he creates with his tree collection. I have especially loved the flowering and fruiting varieties shown. Enough that I've started to work on a number of smaller trees, in hopes of being able to put together a decent shohin display at some point. When I first got into bonsai seriously the little trees were the most appealing to me. But I found early on, that they are actually far harder to learn the craft on, and moved on to larger trees. I'm glad for the call back to start to work the little trees, they are still harder, but so rewarding.
I found this little goji berry, hope you enjoy it. It got it's first styling today.

It came in a painted pot which I didn't really like with the tree, but here it is as received. I found a nice Hattori for it and changed the angle a bit.
s-l1600_2 (1).jpgP1010347.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Finally today I noticed that the tree was dormant enough to take the leaves off and wire and reduce the branching. I'm happy with it for now, I'll see how the new growth is next season, I don't know these well enough to go any further with it yet.
P1010403.jpg P1010404.jpg P1010406.jpg P1010407.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the next few years of this things life continues to progress as here......

Well.....I cant wait to see the whole shohin display!

Nice!

Sorce

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Looks great and shohin are really fun to have, pot choice too-that lowest branch from the side is distracting to me-it may just be the 2-d picture but it looks all loop-d-loop

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks great and shohin are really fun to have, pot choice too-that lowest branch from the side is distracting to me-it may just be the 2-d picture but it looks all loop-d-loop
I'll go take a look at that, didn't see it doing that when I bent it, but I see it now! Could be two branches are blending into each other creating it, but I'll look, thanks!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If the next few years of this things life continues to progress as here......

Well.....I cant wait to see the whole shohin display!

I have 3 more in the works currently that I have not posted. And a plan for a unique stand...

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Awesome! How old do you estimate this one is?

I got some Goji seeds planted as we speak!

I have absolutely no idea what I am doing with them. I have no idea how to care for them or turn them into a bonsai. There is no information on them as bonsai subjects.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Awesome! How old do you estimate this one is?

No idea. Just know that they take a long time to get to this stage of trunk. I know little about them too, but I hear they are easy. They are tolerant of heat and cold, wide zone range from 3-10. Peter told me that to get fruiting to cut back hard in winter. I'll learn as I go I suppose.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I have 3 more in the works currently that I have not posted. And a plan for a unique stand...

I have around 4-5 but they are a few years out to be anything worth while

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
No idea. Just know that they take a long time to get to this stage of trunk. I know little about them too, but I hear they are easy. They are tolerant of heat and cold, wide zone range from 3-10. Peter told me that to get fruiting to cut back hard in winter. I'll learn as I go I suppose.
Thanks for the info-So what sort of protection do you give em?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have this in my cold storage house. Kept between 30 and 40 for the most part. Heat mats for bottom heat so roots don't freeze. I think it could do with less, but this is the first year for the tree here in the cold climate. And I did repot it, so no chances taken.

@Giga,
it was a back branch that was showing up as the piggy tail... 2d. Here is a slightly different angle showing it. But it was confusing the structure, so I clipped it. Looks like the really long branch can come back too, I was trying to be conservative...
P1010413.jpg P1010414.jpg

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
yeah def looks better, but I agree to be a little conservative- especially if its a new buy/year with you. But looks good and will follow this guy

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks me too! Actually if anybody is interested in the painted pot that it came in PM me, I'm not into painted pots :)

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You wouldn't have undertaken such extensive procedures unless you could provide the level of aftercare you outlined? Am I correct?

I've no experience with the species, but it's a great looking tree!

Top Bottom