Shohin dwarf maple

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great beautiful little tree and glad you got rid of the left branch. I would have liked it more if that branch hadn't been so ugly, lumpy and stumpy. I think you'll have a better looking tree with more interesting flow now. If you decide you really want a branch near there, graft one in and grow it out fresh and new. Beautiful nebari developing there too. Very nice. I have a couple of maples I'm working on and will watch out for more from the nursery they came from - no grafts! But they need a little time in ground to get more size on them so that's where they are. Keep us updated on your pretty!

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
The nebari is very good !
I would have used a smaller akadama granulometry for this very small pot. Dunno if you are interested to know, but in Japan Shohin are grown in 1mm akadama particles. The very small granulometry enables better humidity in the soil and the tree grows slower than in 5mm akadama 'slower inter nodes and better ramification of the roots).

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like it's been a minute since I've updated this thread. The nebari and canopy are continuing to evolve and I like the direction. That little sprig growing off the back left might get some wire on it just to see if it can be used... I can always cut it off later.

IMG_6748.jpgIMG_6749.jpgIMG_6750.jpgIMG_6751.jpgIMG_6752.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Looks like it's been a minute since I've updated this thread. The nebari and canopy are continuing to evolve and I like the direction. That little sprig growing off the back left might get some wire on it just to see if it can be used... I can always cut it off later.

View attachment 426810View attachment 426811View attachment 426812View attachment 426813View attachment 426814
Wow!!! I just got to see 9ish years of development in a few minutes... GREAT tree!

As I was reading, I was WONDERING if that left branch would stick around through the years... as shohin.. wrestling with that bulge must've been difficult.

I, also, LOVE the new pot.

I, particularly, cannot wait to see it in Autumn.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
@Dav4 , any specific reason to repot annually?
Good question. With maples, I like to repot annually if I'm still building the nebari. Once the roots have developed a good even spread of mature roots completely around the trunk, I'll back off on the frequency. The roots on this one are pretty well on their way, but the pot is small and gets pretty root bound if I don't repot every year.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The nebari and roots are incredible, Dave! Starting to get some nice bark too. Awesome progression thread.

Top Bottom