Shishigashira in zone 8/9

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Anyone ever grown these with success in these zones. There is a fairly nice one I am looking at for parent stock tree. I would like to get a couple air layers off of it this year. I am thinking if the lack of cold dormancy is an issue. Maybe I will pick up a small fridge on the cheap off of Craigslist for the air layers. The parent tree is much too large to fit in the fridge. Thanks

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'm pretty sure they'd grow fine in zone 8, and probably in zone 9. It's a great cultivar that grows in full sun here in Atlanta, so I'd give it a shot.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Thanks, I was actually going to ask you what varieties you thought were more hardy up there in your neck of the woods on another thread, but I decided not to hi-jack the thread.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Japanese maple.

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Would probably help if I paid attention to what sub forum it was.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm in 8b, and my shishigashira has been growing strongly in the ground for 7 years now. I also have a couple of airlayer explants that have been in pots for a couple of years.

The Willamette valley in Oregon is home to the largest acer palmatum commercial growing grounds in the U.S. - it is zone 8a and 8b.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Osoyoung, It seems like even though the zone isn't much lower than mine, surely you guys get some pretty cold weather up that far north. Could be wrong though because I know nothing of your climate. I have heard that Oregon is one of the best places to grow anything though

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Decided to take the plunge on this one. I have always wanted one of these maples and finally got one. Still pondering if I should plant it in the ground or keep it in a pot so I can move it around should it get too much sun. Already leafing out

shishigashira15c.JPG shishigashira15.JPG shishigashira15b.JPG

nip

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm right by New Orleans. Zone 9 and mine dose great

Do you have issues with leaf burn in the summer Kodama? Im south of you and J Maples look rough by the end of summer, especially cultivars. Keeping the pots from overheating is also a problem.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
We get just as hot. Only thing that we don't have as much as would be the cool breezes off of the ocean like you guys do. I live further in from the coast and away from the river. What I do with my standard maples is somewhere around July I will move them into the shad of a large oak. Seems to work fairly well for me. Red leaved varieties still get burn though and are pretty much leafless by October from heat.

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some maples do burn some don't. These guys normally don't. In summer I pack cut spangdom moss on there soil and I try to mist them in the afternoon. Works for me I'll get a photo of it for you.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Most of my trees are pushing leaves. Looks like we have some 38 degree weather headed this way for the weekend. That is only the low temps. Should I take any preventative measures? I wouldn't think it is needed.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Most of my trees are pushing leaves. Looks like we have some 38 degree weather headed this way for the weekend. That is only the low temps. Should I take any preventative measures? I wouldn't think it is needed.
No...mid 30's and I'd maybe put it up against the house to prevent being nipped by frost.

BethF

Mame
Reaction score
I've had one in the South Carolina midlands, zone 8, for 4 or 5 years. It's kept in a location that filters the afternoon sun. This cultivar is supposed to be able to tolerate more sun than most maples. As far as bonsai, shishigashira develops extremely slowly, more so than most maples. Patience is truly the key to getting results that will ultimately please you.

Top Bottom