Shipping trees into California

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Hello Nutters,

Is it possible to ship bonsai and trees into California and if so how do you do it? I know a lot of people don't ship trees into Cali because regulations with the agriculture and citrus industry.

Is there a way I can ship in trees though without them being seized?

Jeff at the Hidden Gardens has been showing me some cool stuff and I've been eyeing a lot of junipers. Would love to take one back home with me.

Julian

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Just curious, why do you need to import junipers to California? There's tons of great junipers already in California!

There are a lot of California Junipers but its harder to go on digs. Apparently a lot of clubs used to hold digs and back in the day, with John Naka but in the past few years not so much. You either need to know somebody or have access to private land. And old dig sites and accessible areas won't have much good stuff left.

It just be nice though to bring back a nice rmj or sierra juniper when I head home.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Many growers have California health certificates.

Others don't think it is worth the bother... so they specifically state they won't ship into the state.

For example. I sometimes order plants from Forest Farm (in Oregon). They will ship pretty much anywhere - including Hawaii. If you think California has restrictive agriculture regulations, try Hawaii!

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Hello Nutters,

Is it possible to ship bonsai and trees into California and if so how do you do it? I know a lot of people don't ship trees into Cali because regulations with the agriculture and citrus industry.

Is there a way I can ship in trees though without them being seized?

Jeff at the Hidden Gardens has been showing me some cool stuff and I've been eyeing a lot of junipers. Would love to take one back home with me.

Julian
Jeff has some great trees.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Many growers have California health certificates.

Others don't think it is worth the bother... so they specifically state they won't ship into the state.

For example. I sometimes order plants from Forest Farm (in Oregon). They will ship pretty much anywhere - including Hawaii. If you think California has restrictive agriculture regulations, try Hawaii!
So without the certificate you can't legally ship the tree in our state? Say if I boxed it up and brought it as an extra luggage on a plane or shipped it would I run into a conflict?

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So without the certificate you can't legally ship the tree in our state? Say if I boxed it up and brought it as an extra luggage on a plane or shipped it would I run into a conflict?

It differs at the Federal, State, and even County level. Here is the plant quarantine site:

California Plant Quarantine Restrictions

And if you think plant restrictions are confusing, consider restrictions for animals... and insects. For example, there are no restrictions for shipping house crickets, cockroaches, silkworms, fleas, or millipedes :)

Last edited:

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
It differs at the Federal, State, and even County level. Here is the plant quarantine site:

California Plant Quarantine Restrictions

And if you think plant restrictions are confusing, consider restrictions for animals... and insects. For example, there are no restrictions for shipping house crickets, cockroaches, silkworms, fleas, or millipedes :)
o_O Argg don't know how to use this information to see if its okay to ship.

Am I supposed to look up the potential pests for a juniper and see if it comes in conflict with the quarantine restrictions?

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
o_O Argg don't know how to use this information to see if its okay to ship.

Am I supposed to look up the potential pests for a juniper and see if it comes in conflict with the quarantine restrictions?

I believe there is a phone number at the top of the list for questions.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There are a lot of California Junipers but its harder to go on digs. Apparently a lot of clubs used to hold digs and back in the day, with John Naka but in the past few years not so much. You either need to know somebody or have access to private land. And old dig sites and accessible areas won't have much good stuff left.

It just be nice though to bring back a nice rmj or sierra juniper when I head home.
Sierra Juniper make great bonsai, too. And there's zillions of them. But, there are people in California who collect and sell yamadori. You just need to start making connections.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I know many states require plants be shipped bare root. Not sure what Cali's restrictions are however.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have got a strong feeling that trees are shipped all over the world so fast that they only know about half of them.
I believe it is good to quarantine every plant shipped or received, even treat them for pests and fungus weather they need it or not.
Another big issue we have is the wood industry, just moving the mulch or fire wood is transferring nasties all over earth. It's like everything we do, get caught by the right or wrong person and it's the end of the world.

Bonsai_Jon

Sapling
Reaction score
Make a great road trip out of it.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Major highways into California have mandatory agricultural inspection stops for all vehicles. If they choose to stop you, if they inspect your vehicle they will confiscate most plant material. I'm told sometimes they let in houseplants or bare rooted plants, or plants in all inorganic soils. Sometimes not. Seems to be an inconsistent, inefficient attempt to stop incoming pests.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
If you think California has restrictive agriculture regulations, try Hawaii!
Tell me about it! You go to the office and say, "I want to bring in some...NO! I want to ship some ....NO!

Top Bottom