shade systems

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm considering constructing some sort of shade system this year. My main bonsai area is a single, long shelf along a fenceline that faces west. It gets sun pretty much all day until the sun dips below the house in late afternoon. It does get hot around 3 or 4 pm, so I thought about putting up 30% shade cloth.

My question is, who has a shade system and what does it look like? How did you build it? How would have you done it differently?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am going to erect a shade system for the first time ever this year for my deciduous trees to see if I can prevent / minimize late summer leaf burn. I have purchased square and rectangular shade cloths that I am going to erect over their bench area. One side will be anchored to my house, and the other side will be anchored to landscape 4x4's dug into the ground and backfilled with concrete.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm currently in the process of putting one up myself size will be 6x12 over one of my display areas.

Great place to get your shade cloth: http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/custom-shade-cloth/shade-cloth_1

Custom order, 6x12 with tape and grommets already installed only $45. Perfect.

For the frame I'm going to use something like these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-x-4-in-x-10-ft-2-Pressure-Treated-Timber-4220254/100025396

Dig holes 2 feet deep (they are 10ft length, so this will give me 8ft above ground. Level the poles, fill the holes with cement.

Across the top I'm going to run a 2x2 frame and then attach the shade cloth with cord.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I want to do something similar too, mainly as wind protection so it will possibly be kind of like an enclosure but our summers are long and hot so having a top for those extra harsh days is probably a good idea. At least for my maples and other deciduous, plus a spot for any newly worked trees in the summer.
I'm still trying to work out how and where it will go, my trees need a better place than where they are now so I may as well get everything in order at the one time.

I always remember my Nan had a couple of shade houses, I wonder if that might be a reasonable solution?

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I want to do something similar too, mainly as wind protection so it will possibly be kind of like an enclosure but our summers are long and hot so having a top for those extra harsh days is probably a good idea. At least for my maples and other deciduous, plus a spot for any newly worked trees in the summer.
I'm still trying to work out how and where it will go, my trees need a better place than where they are now so I may as well get everything in order at the one time.

I always remember my Nan had a couple of shade houses, I wonder if that might be a reasonable solution?

I was thinking of making it like an endclosure also....was thinking about using roll up bamboo blinds on the side so I can raise and lower them when I need too.

This is a lame pic off google, but it shows the blinds....I would have a hook at the bottom to attach them to when open so the wind doesn't toss them around.

3bded723bdd71814e9e9225fc0071d7b.jpg

In my area they have them at a store called Big Lots for $5 for one. 4 feet wide by 8 feet long. The last set I bought for our front patio has lasted a year now and still going, although next year they will probably be worn out (from sun and rain)

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Looks exactly like what we have in our lounge room. I think that sort of thing could a be a good idea for shade but would get battered in the wind, you wont know unless you try I guess.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Starfox true. They will get battered. The ones in front have fraying. It's only been a year but for the price I was ok with it. I like the mobility.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is my temporary shade system. Constructed with 1 inch PVC. I drilled holes through the back bench to anchor it to th bricks. The shade screens I have have guy ropes I anchor to the ground. I will be attaching mister and automatic watering system to it this weekend. As far as shade cloth goes my nursery sells it by the foot.20170423_163640-3024x2268.jpg 20170425_061307-2268x3024.jpg

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is my temporary shade system. Constructed with 1 inch PVC. I drilled holes through the back bench to anchor it to th bricks. The shade screens I have have guy ropes I anchor to the ground. I will be attaching mister and automatic watering system to it this weekend. As far as shade cloth goes my nursery sells it by the foot.View attachment 142452 View attachment 142453

Did you cement the poles in the ground?

I like how it's coming along. I'm planning on using wood for my structure but starting to consider pvc.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did not. This is a new spot for the benches and I am not sure if it is going to work out because of the heat from the house so I am going very temporary this summer as a trial run.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Gotcha, yea I'm doing a lot of adjusting and tweaking. Big issue for me too is reflections here. Off the windows, and white doors etc...I have a perfect spot for partial shade in front of my shed where I can make a nice display but i can't b/c when the sun rises in the morning and hits my bedroom window it reflects a laser like beam right in that spot LOL.....worried about frying leaves this summer so I cut that whole spot out of my plan

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"it reflects a laser like beam"
How about window tinting?

tstrum

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm thinking about doing that this summer as well, but extremely simple. I'm going to take off the white cloth from my greenhouse and strap a 30 or 40 % shade cloth over it. The greenhouse sits up against a fence so the cloth will hang from the fence over the frame of the greenhouse and hang over a bit.

I'm wanting to see if I can figure out a way to keep the white cloth that forms the roof and side walls somehow in tact in order to roll it out over the shade cloth when we get hail storms in spring and summer. But that may not work, just an idea I'm playing with...

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@tstrum For my area I need 50% or above, otherwise it won't do anything. I'm thinking you may need higher than 30%.

If it helps here is a post from Michael Hagedorn putting up a structure, at the end of the post is a pic of the 30% shade cloth and how much shade it provides. See if you think that's enough for what you want

https://crataegus.com/2015/09/16/building-a-metal-shadecloth-structure/

Top Bottom