Seeking critique on first pruning/wiring on a natal plum

zeejet

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I've been plagued by paralysis by analysis for the past two months after starting bonsai in January. After going down various rabbit holes around growing for size in containers, I decided to simply start styling a natal plum I have that I was initially going to let grow out. I suppose it's a shohin based on size (only about 8") but it's trunk is fairly small right now.

Anyhow, I went ahead with a repot (into nursery gallon) and did some pruning and some wiring. The repot was from what looked like cactus mix (Eastern Leaf shipped this bonsai to me in this soil) to a mix of equal parts lava rock, pumice, fir bark, and potting mix (50% organic and 50% inorganic). For pruning, I used standard butterfly scissors, a straight-edged concave cutter, a knob cutter, and cut paste. Wiring was done using 2.0mm and 3.0mm wire.

I may not have needed to use the knob cutter, but there were a few intersections that were very bulbous and I decided to reduce it back even further. I'm aware of potential dieback or possible cutting too deeply, but again, I'm kinda throwing overthinking out the window here. If things dieback or heal weird, it's a lesson learned.

The wiring was mainly to fan out and rotate the branches up top and on the side trunk/low-branch. Fanning out was to create spacing and the rotation/torquing was to bring branches sticking out the back or towards the front to be more in plane with the main view.

IMG_0301.jpgIMG_0318.jpg

Any critique or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The wire here is thin for the work required! This section requires shortening side to side or up and down. In this case I would bring forward and upright a bit more. That would both shorten the distance ( break up the straight section) and bring the apex towards the viewer.

Attachments

• 519652-b409c3bdc67ed67f01ff17675b4d6f4f.jpg
    519652-b409c3bdc67ed67f01ff17675b4d6f4f.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 49

zeejet

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The wire here is thin for the work required! This section requires shortening side to side or up and down. In this case I would bring forward and upright a bit more. That would both shorten the distance ( break up the straight section) and bring the apex towards the viewer.
Thanks for the feedback! I figured I might expect some back budding on this long branch after it recovers from the pruning - or is that wishful thinking?

This pruning was done a month ago at this point and it hasn't shown any signs of new growth (either the climate isn't right yet or it's still recovering - no major leaf drop or other issues though).

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is early in the growing season, unless you have it indoors under grow lights. Are you fertilizing bi-weekly with an acidic fertilizer as suggested for this species during the growing season? Wiring will be ineffective for thicker branches as it becomes brittle quickly. Difficult to tell this part of the condition from pictures.
I would suggest allowing time for the tree to recover. also check with a local club that is more familiar with your climate and treatment of tropical species within your calendar and resources.
It is unclear from your posting what conditions you are keeping the plant under. Indoor, outdoor, under grow lights, south window, north window.?

zeejet

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It is early in the growing season, unless you have it indoors under grow lights. Are you fertilizing bi-weekly with an acidic fertilizer as suggested for this species during the growing season? Wiring will be ineffective for thicker branches as it becomes brittle quickly. Difficult to tell this part of the condition from pictures.
I would suggest allowing time for the tree to recover. also check with a local club that is more familiar with your climate and treatment of tropical species within your calendar and resources.
It is unclear from your posting what conditions you are keeping the plant under. Indoor, outdoor, under grow lights, south window, north window.?
All of my bonsai are outdoors on a southwest-facing balcony. I'm in San Diego near the coast, which is currently averaging 65F/50F temperatures and has been for the last month. Most of my other trees have all leafed out except the ficus (another tropical), which only started pushing new growth this week.

I'll probably remove the heavy wire on that branch considering your advice. Again, really hoping for backbudding there. I have yet to fertilize due to the inconclusive health of the tree.

Top Bottom