Seedling help.....don't know where to turn!

MartyB

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I need help and I don't know where to turn. Google is not helping me resolve my issue so I hope someone here will be willing to give me some advice. And I hope there is not a better forum here for this type of question, apologies in advance.

I started some Olea Europaea "africana" seeds I bought, and read that it would take at least 3-4 months before any of them sprouted. I have tried unsuccessfully in many types of soils and tried to use 100% vermiculite for the first time. Lo and behold I finally have a germination, albeit in alot less time than I expected. Its winter here in Quebec so I am trying to grow it under a grow light for the time being.

The seedling is growing vertically and is now almost two inches high, however it has not opened its two first leaves yet. I am worried that the vermiculite will have no nourishment so other than light, I cannot provide it with much in terms of fertile soils for now. And although its growing vertically quite high, its width is surprisingly small, about the width of a sewing needle.

So my question is, how long can I keep it in vermiculite before I transplant it into some sort of potting soil? I had read that I had to wait until the leaves opened, however after two weeks it has yet to happen....

and any tips on a soil mix to help grow this little guy into something? Thanks in advance folks. I hear its quite difficult to get olives to sprout from seed so I would really like to try and avoid failure.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It can grow in that vermiculite for quite a long time, just make sure not to over water. Also, a fan is a good idea when growing seeds indoors, high humidity will cause them to damp off. In bonsai we use mostly if not totally, inorganic soil. So we need to fertilize more often.
Good luck with your little guy!

Aaron

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You sure it ain't grass?

Pics!

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The olive seed has cotyledons (the first 2 leaves that slide out of the seed coat when the empty husk of the seed falls or is taken off. These leaves store enough starch, sugars and nutrition to get the seedling through its first few months. Don't worry about fertilizer for a while. After you have half a dozen leaves, you can start fertilizer. Feed too early and you'll do more harm than good.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Vermiculite is okay, I prefer perlite. Perlite is good, stable and can be used much like pumice. A blend of perlite and vermiculite works, as does a blend of perlite and peat moss. 66 to 75 % perlite the rest vermiculite or peat moss are blends I have used in the past. Some trees I started are now over a decade old.

Top Bottom