Scrub oak, Interior live oak, (Q wislizeni) progression

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one is pretty new to me, just over a year in my hands. Quite a chunky trunk that throws new growth out everywhere in the spring......and again now after the oppressive heat has abated. Not going to be a traditional look, no matter what I do with it. Open to any suggestions.

Before work:

scrub oak 12Sep24 1.jpg

scrub oak 12Sep24 2.jpg

scrub oak 12Sep24 3.jpg

Last edited:
After some clean up, attempt at organizing that craziness.....

Possible front 1

scrub oak 12Sep24 4.jpg

Possible front 2

scrub oak 12Sep24 5.jpg

You know how, if you can't find the front at least find the back? This is the back.

scrub oak 12Sep24 6.jpg

Still learning about this species. It handles our heat like a champ. It throws growth directly from the trunk all over the place in spring and fall. I'm curious to see how well the major branches back bud. Anybody with experience with these?

I love the leaves on it, be a nice hollow tree candidate if it were mine perhaps.

No experience. Possible front 2 is interesting. I can’t see everything, however, my first reaction was to begin Uro development on the lower rolled-over point and the smaller one above it….something like this. I would mimic the damage area to look like a large branch or trunk section had fallen away during the struggle to survive. I’d make the Uro rather deep and dimensional. Just my view. I get fascinated by damaged trees. The tree has lots of good Uro points with any of the fronts chosen.

Attachments

• IMG_7824.jpeg
    IMG_7824.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 7
I love the leaves on it, be a nice hollow tree candidate if it were mine perhaps.

As it happens, there's a hole at the top not seen in the pics that drains through the top uro visible. I can put a chopstick from the second highest uro down to the level of the third, which connects to another gap on the side. Long way to say that the trunk seems to be mostly hollow already, and would only need to open it up some more.

scrub oak 12Sep24 8.jpg

Oooo. Where is that?
I believe that was the Laund oak in Bolton Abbey, in the UK, Europe has a lot of ancient trees surprisingly since most of the forests have been cut long ago.

Europe has a lot of ancient trees surprisingly since most of the forests have been cut long ago.
-

In my region most common centenary trees are chestnuts.
They hollow and decay in some amazing ways. Tryed to find some pictures but couldnt find anything really cool,
this is from the internet
1726250535958.png

but I can get you some pictures for inspiration next time I go for a walk on the forest

Starting a bit of carving to open up the central hollow.

Probable front
interior live oak 19Sep24 1.jpg

Below you can see a spot of light in the hole. It's connected to a seam in the back. It's also connected to a uro farther up the trunk.

interior live oak 19Sep24 2.jpg

Back, showing seam connected to hollow.

interior live oak 19Sep24 4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom