Scarification and strattification, which comes first?

Bon Sai

Mame
Reaction score
Catalonia (Mediterranean South-western Europe)
USDA Zone
9a
Hello, I bought some seeds and the package label instructs to scarify and strattify, but without specifying that one should be done before, so I asked the vendor and he told me to scarify first and strattify afterwards.

But then I accidentally found on Internet instructions to do it the other way around, and also my logic makes me think it should be so.

Sorry about this silly question. I am sure it is explained on other threads but I haven't been able to find it.

Reaction score
Species? wiki : Scarification in botany involves weakening, opening, or otherwise altering the coat of a seed to encourage germination. Scarification is often done mechanically, thermally, and chemically. The seeds of many plant species are often impervious to water and gases, thus preventing or delaying germination. Any process designed to make the testa (seed coat) more permeable to water and gases (and thus more likely to germinate) is known as scarification.

For JBP for example you can use hot water to scarify (optional). Other species with thick skin you can use sandpaper. After that they are stored or sowed cold to stratify.

For some species it might be the other way around.

Bon Sai

Mame
Reaction score
Catalonia (Mediterranean South-western Europe)
USDA Zone
9a
Several species. I didn't ask for one in particular, so it must be a general rule.

Aesculus pavia

HEPTACODIUM miconioides

Liriodendron tulipifera

ACER rubrum

CASTANEA mollissima

Only the first one I intend for bonsai, by the way. I've always had a thing for buckeyes, so I'm going to try it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
For the aesculus soak in water 24h (scarification) and cold stratify for 30 days. Sowing outside and let nature do the work might be easier. When i do that i do bury the seeds between two pond baskets.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ACER rubrum
Red maple?
Just toss them in a bucket of dirt fresh off the tree,water and in a few days you got a baby maple. They pop up in my pots and buckets all year long. I treat them as weeds.

Top Bottom