Scam site beware!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was searching the web for a specific cultivar, and this site popped up. The website looks like a legit website, however after doing some research that's not the case. Their address is nonexistent, and the contact email is flagged on multiple websites. Do not purchase anything from this website. All the complaints were the same, you send the payment and you don't get any item in return nor can you reach them.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know there is much I don't understand about the internet, but it amazes me that there are so many crooks out there. But it is more amazing to me that these people aren't found and prosecuted.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I know there is much I don't understand about the internet, but it amazes me that there are so many crooks out there. But it is more amazing to me that these people aren't found and prosecuted.

What amazes me is the amount of work they put into that website. It looks totally legit, the pictures and info looks like any other real website that sells plants online. I just don't understand how they can keep this going and not get caught.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
What amazes me is the amount of work they put into that website. It looks totally legit, the pictures and info looks like any other real website that sells plants online. I just don't understand how they can keep this going and not get caught.
Most likely an overseas operation that’s beyond the reach of law enforcement here in the USA. On the internet, it’s always buyer beware.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All they need is one credit card number and they get their investment back. They are most likely offshore, probably Asia or Eastern Europe. Well beyond the reach of domestic U.S. law enforcement. They are very hard to find, much less prosecute--some nations actively harbor cybercriminals who do double duty with those nations' cyber espionage operations (hello Russia). The multiplying bogus sites are part of a very large international cyber problem. Some crooks are part of larger rings, some (if not most) are using "Software as a service" applications created for such activity. That takes the technical and programming work out of setting up sites. It costs literally dozens of dollars to do it. Returns on that low investment are extremely high.

Take a look at the vendors list here, or do a search on a vendor's name here. Don't trust any that aren't consistently mentioned favorably.

FWIW, I noticed another one of these kinds of murky sites actually soliciting here. Same M.O.--nonexistent street address, additional web sites tied to it for unrelated markets, photos of finished bonsai stolen from legitimate sources (hello, Walter Pall--seems he has become a go-to for scammers for stealing photos of excellent bonsai). I reported the site to the 'nut using the "report" button on the post. Do the same if you see suspicious posts here. Scammers are everywhere and increasingly deceptive. If you have trouble finding a physical address on a site, or find one that doesn't come up in a search, be very very careful.

And BTW, they DO catch some of this scum but there is soooo much of it...https://www.theregister.com/2023/04/05/fbi_seizes_stolen_data_mart/

Last edited:

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like the creators of this site lifted the schema from a site (another scam?)… in the clothing industry. Here’s excerpts from the about section…

www.rootspldeals.com was founded in 2020 for one simple reason: We strive to improve the lives of those on-the-go by creating durable, functional and adaptable products at a great value; and we do this by co-creating products with you.

We always keep an eye on the latest trends and put our customers’ wishes first. That is why we have satisfied many customers all over the world, and are thrilled to be a part of the clothing accessories industry.

Good pick up @Pitoon

Best
DSD sends

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like the creators of this site lifted the schema from a site (another scam?)… in the clothing industry. Here’s excerpts from the about section…

www.rootspldeals.com was founded in 2020 for one simple reason: We strive to improve the lives of those on-the-go by creating durable, functional and adaptable products at a great value; and we do this by co-creating products with you.

We always keep an eye on the latest trends and put our customers’ wishes first. That is why we have satisfied many customers all over the world, and are thrilled to be a part of the clothing accessories industry.

Good pick up @Pitoon

Best
DSD sends
Probably same software template being used among thieves, or the same thief

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Probably same software template being used among thieves, or the same thief
Wait till AI gets in the game if it already hasn’t! It’s no wonder Amazon does………..

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the heads up on those sites. Web surfing is getting tougher everyday, always question things, trust no one, make sure your devices are up to date.

Top Bottom