Satsuki mutated leaves??

Danonito

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi all, I was away for a week and came back to my satsuki azalea forming these weird blobs at the base of random leaves. To say the least it looks creepy. What is it? It has been raining extensively in my area for being in mid July so maybe linked to that? I'd be glad to know whether to remove them or leave them.1000013714.jpg1000013712.jpg1000013711.jpg

Exobasidium vaccinii causing azalea gall. Remove. If they are white, there are new spores. It is mostly self-limiting. The gall won't grow into other areas of the plant. The shoot will eventually turn black and die. The spores may infect other parts of your azalea. But that really depends on weather and cultivar. Kurume are more susceptible than satsuki.

They appear in late spring and summer when it has been a cloudy rainy week. I just saw a few on my non-satsuki.

Thanks for the replies! I will remove it. Is there any reason this would suddenly appear? I've had this tree for 3 years and I've never seen such thing happen.

Thanks for the replies! I will remove it. Is there any reason this would suddenly appear? I've had this tree for 3 years and I've never seen such thing happen.

Back
Top Bottom