Sangu Kaku Layer

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Repotted this layer -- 2 years in the small pot. It formed a great, dense feeder root system -- this is after removing maybe 30%. Hard to see in the photo but it formed a disk-shaped callus nearly 3" across -- could be an interesting nebari someday.

Nice! I've tried a couple air layers on Sangu Kaku as well so finding this thread pretty interesting. I started one in spring 2017, and I actually did get a decent amount of roots to grow, i separated it early fall and then it never woke up in the spring, and looked like the roots had rotted, the base of the trunk was turning black. Was pretty bummed about that since i was feeling pretty good about the root growth. Maybe i just separated it too late.

I started another one this past summer, though there didn't look like much root had developed so I opted to keep the layer on for the winter. I'll open it up and see whats going on in there this coming spring. But not feeling super optimistic about that one at the moment.

I was thinking about trying to take some softwood cuttings this summer, anyone every tried that route?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a successful sango kaku layer (2 years since separation). I can't remember the details, but at the same time I also layered a shishigashira. One of them rooted quickly and was
separated the same year, but the other only put out a couple of roots the first season and I chose to leave the layer on into the next season (I did recut the area that had started to bridge). Both are doing OK now. Wish I could remember which one took the 2 years.

Top Bottom