Sand Cherry and Icee Blue Juniper nursery stock. What to do?

Horsefeathers

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was able to snag two trees on clearance at a local big box store. One is an Icee Blue Juniper (Juniperus Horizontalis Monber) and the other is a Jade Parade Sand Cherry (Prunus Pumila).

The Juniper looks healthy / fine. The Sand Cherry on the other hand only has greenage at the top of the plant and the bottom / interior is bare.

In both cases should I be leaving these in their nursery pots and keeping them happy until spring? In the case of the Sand Cherry should I prune anything, including stuff that appears to be dead?

Also, the Sand Cherry has a side branch / trunk coming out of the pot that could be it's own separate tree. I've not attempted an air layer, but picked this one specifically because it has the potential for multiple trees. I assume air layering should only be done on a really healthy tree? ...or should I just give it a shot?

Edit: Also, I'm in zone 6B

I was able to snag two trees on clearance at a local big box store. One is an Icee Blue Juniper (Juniperus Horizontalis Monber) and the other is a Jade Parade Sand Cherry (Prunus Pumila).

The Juniper looks healthy / fine. The Sand Cherry on the other hand only has greenage at the top of the plant and the bottom / interior is bare.

1. In both cases should I be leaving these in their nursery pots and keeping them happy until spring? In the case of the Sand Cherry should I prune anything, including stuff that appears to be dead?

2. Also, the Sand Cherry has a side branch / trunk coming out of the pot that could be it's own separate tree. I've not attempted an air layer, but picked this one specifically because it has the potential for multiple trees. I assume air layering should only be done on a really healthy tree? ...or should I just give it a shot?

Edit: Also, I'm in zone 6B

1. Yes
2. get the tree healthy first

learn to keep them alive and healthy first
Dead trees dont make bonsai

1. Yes
2. get the tree healthy first

learn to keep them alive and healthy first
Dead trees dont make bonsai
10-4. I figured that might be the case. Felt anticlimactic to get them home and just water, haha!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom