San Jose Topiary

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked this up earlier this year on deep discount from Pikes. What I'm thinking is styling this like a lot of these old pines I see a lot near me. I think the trunk may be thick enough and there's more than enough branches.

Only problem will be to break this topiary look. Also there's a huge bulge near the apex from them leaving some tie on there, have to figure out how correct that.

Here's when I bought it.
IMG_20170711_204049.jpg

Cleaned out the dead needles and thinned it out a bit.
IMG_20171029_121014.jpg

Chopped off the top, thinned it out some more and wired.
IMG_20171104_222908_01.jpg

I almost think the spiky foliage works with trying to style it as a pine. Still a long way to go but hopefully it'll get there one day.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like it! Nice find. The lower movement in the trunk is really nice theta.
How do we approach thick upper branches? Can they be reduced over time by carving?

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Japonicus - There are some thicker upper branches, I'll have to decide to either remove what I can, or jin them and keep the smaller ones. - but - It's not so much thicker upper branches that are the biggest problem, but there is a huge swelling right at the top of the trunk from the nursery leaving some kind of wrap / tie thing on too long. It grew into the trunk and created a huge ball up there. I plan to just cut away as much of it as I can, while keeping as many smaller branches up there. It will bring the apex down a bit, so may have to bring in the overall silhouette over time to keep it in proportion. Who knows - it's one big experiment.

I made a sketch of where I see it going. Honestly, would love it to look like this, but it may be many many years away, or not happen at all. Rock planting of course, hah.

SnJose4_plan_small.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That's cool man, I'm sure you'll be able to make something awesome with it eventually.
I have always looked at those with a smirk on my face....and keep walking...
It's cool to see someone doing something with one.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@Japonicus - There are some thicker upper branches, I'll have to decide to either remove what I can, or jin them and keep the smaller ones. - but - It's not so much thicker upper branches that are the biggest problem, but there is a huge swelling right at the top of the trunk from the nursery leaving some kind of wrap / tie thing on too long. It grew into the trunk and created a huge ball up there. I plan to just cut away as much of it as I can, while keeping as many smaller branches up there. It will bring the apex down a bit, so may have to bring in the overall silhouette over time to keep it in proportion. Who knows - it's one big experiment.

I made a sketch of where I see it going. Honestly, would love it to look like this, but it may be many many years away, or not happen at all. Rock planting of course, hah.

View attachment 181610

Juniperus Sequoiandum ;)

Top Bottom