Safe Nighttime Temps for Ficus

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I guess this is a question for the folks who live in the more temperate regions, like mine.
When do you move your tropicals outdoors?
Do you do the Tropical Two Step until April?
Do you leave it inside until it's good and warm out?
I like to see at least 50℉ steadily as the nighttime low temp, before I'll put mine outside.
We have a few nights in the 30's next week, so they're still chilling indoors for now, I hate the ol' 2 step....and refuse to do it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Once out at consistent over 50F.

Once in at first 49F.

With a BIP.....bring in pruning.

For me....

The risks of going in and out outweigh the benefits.

If just mites....
Everytime in you drop some off....

Then when you treat it before bringing it in....it doesn't matter, they're already there.

Sorce

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I must be mean to my tropicals lol they hang out outdoors until Temps get into the high 30s . They never seem mad about it.

Aaron

I think I only brought mine in once or twice this year when the temps were going to hit 32. They routinely dealt with 40 and lower night time temps.
Although that could purely be an acclimatisation thing too.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Both me and my trees stay inside when the temp get below 40f. Fortunately, this only happens 3-4 times a winter, otherwise i'd have to move further south ;)
Haha!
Yeah, FL I see.... usually a little warmer than MD most of the time ;)
I only have a few trops.
They have been inside since mid November, can't wait to get em back outside!

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi JWI, I agree with you 100%, 50 F and a 2-step thing hatred. Ficus can survive lower temps, but will cease growing and won't prosper. And we do not want this in spring, we need sun, warmth and see them growing.
When I have some free space outside some tropicals go out in May in my climate. I'd spent ages looking for a willow leaf fig here in EU before I found one last fall, so this one will go outside for best results and propagation for sure.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've only had 2 winters in the south of China, this one was very mild, but last year we even had some sleet and nighttime temps got very close to freezing. Ficus m. grows here, and none of them died during last winter's extreme cold. It seems like they're fairly tough.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ficus can survive lower temps, but will cease growing and won't prosper.
This is not my observation, all of my trops seem to grow with out a problem with cold night Temps, just as long as we warm up into the 60s or 70s during the day (very common to have 40f temp swings in a few hours here)

Aaron

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They still grow a few kilometers north from me. They're planted all over town because they improve air quality better than most other plants.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Did an experiment this winter.... Three young plants F. benjamina, retusa and triangularis (well rooted two yo cuttings) were placed in a cold room 2-10℃, watered sparingly. After a month they all dropped leaves and died.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is not my observation, all of my trops seem to grow with out a problem with cold night Temps, just as long as we warm up into the 60s or 70s during the day (very common to have 40f temp swings in a few hours here)

Aaron

Aaron, I CAN believe. But I think placing tropicals kept all the winter in a warm room outside where it's still not warm enough is not what we want. Why not to wait few more weeks?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Both me and my trees stay inside when the temp get below 40f. Fortunately, this only happens 3-4 times a winter, otherwise i'd have to move further south ;)
Haha!
Yeah, FL I see.... usually a little warmer than MD most of the time ;)
I only have a few trops.
They have been inside since mid November, can't wait to get em back outside!

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been two steppin a half dozen when below 48 at night. 39 last night. 70 today with a low of 53 out they go. Chance of snow thursday night and Fri. WTF?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've been two steppin a half dozen when below 48 at night. 39 last night. 70 today with a low of 53 out they go. Chance of snow thursday night and Fri. WTF?
Ahhh man, I did that on my first year in spring and fall.....but no more... can't do it.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Aaron, I CAN believe. But I think placing tropicals kept all the winter in a warm room outside where it's still not warm enough is not what we want. Why not to wait few more weeks?
I agree, mosteoporosis of my tropicals have been with meach for a few years now and have been through the cold every spring and autumn, so they are used to it. Thinking back, they did hate it back in the day :D:p I guess plants really do learn;)

Aaron

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, there's still enough cold air in Northern Europe and it's decided to move southward.

Top Bottom