Sacrifice Sucker Branch

RJW

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have just acquired this North American native Prunus Virginiana or Chokecherry tree. I was drawn to it at the nursery because of it interesting trunk base that is forming. Out of about a dozen or so 1 gal seedlings this was the only one with taper forming. My novice intuition is that the sucker branch being where it is growing might be the cause. Can someone please confirm if this is sound logic or correct me if I'm wrong. If this is true then I'm planning to let it grow out unhindered for a year or 2 with intentions of sacrificing later so it can continue to do it's thing. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20240917_185229.jpg
    20240917_185229.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 54
  • 20240917_185218.jpg
    20240917_185218.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 53
  • 20240917_185207.jpg
    20240917_185207.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 53
You will want to cut the sucker off since it takes nutrients from the main tree. Eventually the tree will abandon the grafted part if you leave suckers.

The sucker may be thickening the immediate base of the tree but probably has little to do with taper in the existing trunk.
I mostly develop taper in deciduous bonsai through grow and chop cycles.
I can't see any benefit in keeping that sucker considering where it is growing. I'd chop now.

Eventually the tree will abandon the grafted part if you leave suckers.
Is this tree grafted? I can't see any sign of a graft union. Named cultivars might be grafted but native species are much more often propagated from seed or cuttings rather than grafting.

The sucker may be thickening the immediate base of the tree but probably has little to do with taper in the existing trunk.
I mostly develop taper in deciduous bonsai through grow and chop cycles.
I can't see any benefit in keeping that sucker considering where it is growing. I'd chop now.

Is this tree grafted? I can't see any sign of a graft union. Named cultivars might be grafted but native species are much more often propagated from seed or cuttings rather than grafting.
Thanks for that. It is definitely not grafted. Going to bring it with to bonsai club workshop today & see what the group recommends also. I already cut its growing tip to stunt it's growth, seemed to be fastest grower out of them all from my observations. I'm definitely leaning towards immediate removal to redirect energy for the last few weeks of growing season.

Back
Top Bottom