Ryusen ruminations

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok, I need to decide on first steps with my new ryusen from the "Best new maple" thread.

I still haven't decided but here's what I'm thinking...

Inked20180408_143955_LI.jpg

It already has quite a bit of height with the main so maybe air layer at yellow and then eventually cut off at red. Trim the blues and allow it to sweep around and cascade down to the right.

OR, I leave the upright and have a monster of a tree. Grr. lol.

Buds are breaking but I still want to get it into a basket at least so I'll have to be careful and leave a lot of the rootball. Or I can just cut the pot down if you guys think it is too late.

@Cadillactaste thinks I should do nothing but wait for at least a year which is probably the right thing to do but I'm just so darn impatient! If I did wait, though, it would give me more time to contemplate whether to proceed with my plan above or wait to see if I like it as is. I don't know that I will, though. The more I look at that upright the more I don't like it. It does give it an unusual twist but also looks like a sucker gone wild.

Any other thoughts?

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ok, I need to decide on first steps with my new ryusen from the "Best new maple" thread.

Buds are breaking but I still want to get it into a basket at least so I'll have to be careful and leave a lot of the rootball. Or I can just cut the pot down if you guys think it is too late.

@Cadillactaste thinks I should do nothing but wait for at least a year which is probably the right thing to do but I'm just so darn impatient! If I did wait, though, it would give me more time to contemplate whether to proceed with my plan above or wait to see if I like it as is. I don't know that I will, though. The more I look at that upright the more I don't like it. It does give it an unusual twist but also looks like a sucker gone wild.

Any other thoughts?

Hi cable,
Cool tree and yeah chop that sucker (vertical sh..ty bit lol). I like the direction you are going with the green pen, so good luck with progress and Patience grasshopper :).
Charles

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Too pretty for that rock.

Ditch the long straight now or eventually.

Too pretty for that rock.

Sorce

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you decide to follow the green line, I wouldn't cut and discard the rest of the tree, air-layer the top. Two for one, a new tree or for landscape use.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Any other thoughts?
I am not saying do nothing with roots...but enjoy the canopy for one year. These continue to weep...get wider. Go ahead with your plans on getting it out of the pot...if you want.

These will forever be adding depth with new growth...it is a natural weeping tree. As it continues to grow...it will develop and grow becoming wider. (One reason I want to balance that with the training of the taller leader.) A lot of times...once in leaf...it only looks more fuller. Which allows for a much nicer fall display. You don't notice the structure underneath. These do not follow the rules of bonsai...it's one you just embrace. Which is another reason I am training another section up. For fall colors...your tree once in leaf...will hide all structure. That is when these trees shine. I am not saying not remove the top...but wait to see what this offers once in leaf. It will allow you to visualize what the tree is like in leaf. I just happen to know this trees habit...from years of it in my landscape as to what to expect in years to come.
image.jpg
Now...I do have that weeping cherry...but the trunk has more movement. Which reminds me of the waterfall cascade around the trunk look. It draws attention to the trunk itself. By it being exposed and highlighted by the foliage.
image.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Cable remember...anyone's comments are just food for thought, the decision always lays in your court. Just grasp...that thin young weeping tree...will become fuller in time...and much wider as it develops. They basically only get taller by staking like I did. Or...past staking as in your tree. It's a fun tree to have on the bench...no matter what direction you take. As long as it's one you are solid in taking...then there is no wrong direction.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok, did some work on my little friend. Very thick root ball! I dug down to the flare and found one nice thick root but that was it. I'm going to leave it alone for now and assess further next spring while dormant. Are all maples this brittle? I wanted to train a tad and broke almost every branch I tried to move...

20180409_194711.jpg
20180409_194723.jpg
20180409_194738.jpg
Kinda hard to tell from the pic but on that left side it kinda flattens out like a cobra

20180409_200422.jpg
Damned if that upright isn't starting to grow on me...

20180409_200457.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You really can only train young branches...for they do become brittle once set. But they produce a lot...so don't worry. Love the shilloette of this! Though...I love Ryusen. It will give up a higher fuller canopy to enjoy come fall.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So, I decided to keep the upright but wanted it to do something. Since I wasn't married to it I decided to wire and guy wire in some movement and figured if it snaps then fate made the decision for me. I'm bringing it around from the back to flow to the same side as the main cascade. I was careful to only do a little at a time and will tweak going forward but I think it will work out. I can always chop it off later if I change my mind! @Cadillactaste

20180421_105813.jpg

Top Bottom