Royal Bonsai Garden

It's been years since I've been there, but it had, by far and away, the most refined, perfectly designed "can't see any scars" trees I have ever seen.

Do you know if they have stock trees or just specimens? I wouldn't be able to afford their specimens so I'm hoping that they have quality stock trees. :)

I honestly don't know...give them a call or email them. I do know that New England Bonsai in Bellingham has a wide variety of stock trees fit for everyone from beginners to the very experienced. If you havn't already been there, I'd check them out too.

Definately need to call, or you will find yourself on the outside looking in, so make sure he will be around first.

He does have stock plants typically, and may not want to let you into the specimen area, I think there was a theft issue not too long ago, so showing off your money can be an issue.

What Dave said is true, probably the best trees on the right side of the country. toss no flames please:p.

Last edited:
I just got an email back from them and they are no longer open to the public. :-(

They have been more into maintaing collections and working w/ study groups of late, even New England Bonsai isn't open like they used to be.

They have been closed to the public for several years now... I was sad to hear that happened when it did.

I've been to both Bonsai West and New England Bonsai numerous times each, but I will always recommend NE Bonsai because I feel like they have a lot more quality starts to choose from. I think we're lucky to actually have two good bonsai nurseries near us.

I was out at Suthin's last fall, and there's no doubt he has the best trees of any professional on the west coast. He still had a bunch of stuff for sale(specimen trees only) and his personal collection is simply the best...hands down. His shohin are the best in the country, taken as a whole, and his skills with deciduous trees of any size(especially maples!) is also the best. I visited with some pro friends from Japan for an article in Bonsai Sekai, and if anyone gets the chance, don't turn it down! I will go on to add that Suthin is one of the humblest, nicest guys I've met(especially at the top tier level in any field)! My Japanese bonsai pro buddies agreed: a true master. They were far far more impressed with Suthin than the Kennett Collection, as Suthin did all the work himself. You can see images from Suthins nursery here:
http://japanesebonsaipots.net/2012/10/20/bonsai-gardens-of-the-northeast-part-1/
Ryan
http://japanesebonsaipots.net/

Yes, it has been said that when it comes to shohin bonsai, Suthin has no equal. I went to his nursery for many years before it closed to the public.

Also, he has a somewhat new site. So if you want trees. You can contact him through here.

Rob

http://www.suthinbonsaistudio.com/#!home/mainPage

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to the workshop I have with him in a few weeks. I'm bringing a couple of little Serissa. This thread makes me wish I would have also signed up for the shohin Ficus workshop for which he's providing the material.

Back
Top Bottom