ROR Siberian Elm

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Figured this little cutie deserved its own thread. Started in may of 2020 from a seedling collected in Abq’s Bosque.

2020. Left to grow and set some branches with a pretty typical bonsai shape (which may not have been the best decision). It grew well as all elms here do.
IMG_7089.jpegIMG_7930.jpeg

2021. Unearthed the tree to inspect the roots. EXCELLENT root distribution around the lava rock.
IMG_9003.jpegIMG_9004.jpeg
IMG_9005.jpegIMG_9008.jpeg

Original design was to extend out away from the rock, but in 2022 I decided to wire it back over the roots and rock. I also lost several key roots making it necessary to rotate the rock clockwise so the way the roots wrapped the rock looked right to my eye. It was planted in this little Sam Miller pot.
IMG_2662.jpeg
IMG_2664.jpeg
IMG_4198.jpeg

Spring 2023 I repotted and put it back into the Sam miller pot. The rock it was wrapped on is awfully small and so slow thickening is actually important so I don’t lose the entire rock in 3 years time.
IMG_5736.jpeg
During the summers I keep the little pot inside of another pot to allow the roots to escape which makes watering and care simpler. About halfway through this summer, a bud popped from the roots on the opposite side of the rock. I think I’ll let it go and start a second trunk from it!

What do you think? Cut it? Or keep the second trunk?
IMG_6941.jpegIMG_6942.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom