RobbiePizz's Vance Wood Memorial Mugo 4 Year Contest Entry

I woke up the other day to see that my bag of bonsai soil and pond basket had been delivered. I did not plan on repotting that day... but the excitement got the best of me. Overall I think the tree is starting to take shape although I wish I would have slowed down and taken my time. Hugo the Mugo is the official name on this specimen.

I followed Vance's advice as closely as possible. I cut off about 1/2 of the root ball. Untangled circling roots and was careful about not pruning them to hard. Repotted in a pond basket. I pruned off a little less than half the foliage. I wanted to err on the side of caution to make sure the tree survived the transition. My pruning was mostly to reducing so that only 2 branches originate from each node. I can take the styling in a few directions. I need to expose more of the trunk for sure. Would appreciate any feedback!

In early September i plan on plucking some of the fat buds and the tips to encourage more back budding.

It's been about 2 weeks since the repotting and the tree looks healthy. Still a long way to go...

hugo 1.jpghugo 3.jpghugo 4.jpghugo 5.jpghugo 6.jpghugo 7.jpghugo 9.jpghugo 10.jpghugo 11.jpg

Last edited:
On 9/2/24 I did my first wiring of the tree. I followed the advise of Vance and picked of large terminal buds to induce back budding. I also pruned off a small amount of branches that did not fit the design. I know this is not the correct time of year to do so, but the amount was very small.

I think i should make some more drastic bends with the wirings, but i only have a wire gauge that is to thin and the next size i have is to big. I will need to get the proper wire gauge for the next wiring.

Still looking healthy!

Hugo 13.jpg

Back
Top Bottom