Repurposing a dead bonsai!

That is definitely not a real tree, but the concept is fun. If you want yours flat similar to that you'll have to be very careful about what branches you trim off to do it.

You could try boiling your tree in water to soften the wood, then wiring it flat, or gently pressing it between two boards or something, and let it dry like that. A heavy coat of hard drying acrylic might help hold everything in place.

This is all me brainstorming, though. I've certainly never tried it, and haven't run into anything similar.
This is how they look dried out. I can use spray on shellac or white chalk paint. I also have oil base poly I can brush on.

Attachments

• IMG_9106.jpeg
    IMG_9106.jpeg
    300.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9108.jpeg
    IMG_9108.jpeg
    290.3 KB · Views: 31
I'd let them sit a bit, and brush off any twigs that aren't strong enough to last anyway, and maybe some pruning for silhouette, but I really think you're on to something.

I'd let them sit a bit, and brush off any twigs that aren't strong enough to last anyway, and maybe some pruning for silhouette, but I really think you're on to something.
I ended up using white chalk paint. It turn out surprisingly nice!

Attachments

• IMG_9369.jpeg
    IMG_9369.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 28
I like them. Very nice ly done. The price is for the brand of course...
One of those things that makes me say "Why did not I think of it?".
Granted I don't have a commercial vein, but I can do something like that for myself.

What is left of my infamoust Scots Pine.
dead scots.jpg

Just saved it for the memories.
Never own a tree where the climate is wrong. šŸ˜¢

What it was:

Scotty1.jpg

...........................snif

Back
Top Bottom