Repot and wiring - together or seperate?

MartyB

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have been growing a tree in the intent of making it into a cascade; it has been growing rather horizontally for now.

I was forced to repot it now instead of next spring as the neighbors dog decided to bust into my yard and knock over the pot, shattering it completely. Thankfully it did not sit in the sun more than a few minutes before I came to the scene....

So the tree is now in its cascade pot, in new soil. Do I have to wait to not over-stress the tree or is it wrong to wire it now and start the shaping process for its new destiny?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Typically, with a healthy tree, you can do both at the same time....but....you want to wire first. Otherwise, your subtle manipulations of the canopy can disrupt the new roots from growing well. It also depends on the species and time of year. Without knowing any more about your situation, I'd say hold off on the wire for now.

MartyB

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Its a healthy and vigorous (until the canine incident at least) olive tree.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 32

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't think you're going to wiggle it enough to damage it.

Wow, lots of olive threads recently!

Just so you know, I'm not a fan of those tall skinny cascade pots. The soil at the top may be dry, and the soil at the bottom could be wet. Or vice versa! At any rate, it's a poor choice.

Today, the recommended practice is to put it in a "square" pot. One approximately as deep as is wide. It can be round, square, hexangonal, whatever... But avoid being deeper than wide.

I have a JBP cascade. I wire it to a concrete block, which elevates it:

image.jpeg

This tree, incidentally, used to be in one of those tall cascade pots. The owner decided to sell the tree, but he wanted to keep the pot. He couldn't get it out! At least, not without ripping neatly all the roots off! When I bought the tree, it had what little roots it had left stuffed in a Dixie Cup.

I've managed to save it. But it's taken a couple years to regain vigor since it had so few healthy roots.

MartyB

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't think you're going to wiggle it enough to damage it.

Wow, lots of olive threads recently!

Just so you know, I'm not a fan of those tall skinny cascade pots. The soil at the top may be dry, and the soil at the bottom could be wet. Or vice versa! At any rate, it's a poor choice.

Today, the recommended practice is to put it in a "square" pot. One approximately as deep as is wide. It can be round, square, hexangonal, whatever... But avoid being deeper than wide.

I have a JBP cascade. I wire it to a concrete block, which elevates it:

View attachment 113119

This tree, incidentally, used to be in one of those tall cascade pots. The owner decided to sell the tree, but he wanted to keep the pot. He couldn't get it out! At least, not without ripping neatly all the roots off! When I bought the tree, it had what little roots it had left stuffed in a Dixie Cup.

I've managed to save it. But it's taken a couple years to regain vigor since it had so few healthy roots.

Thanks for the advice. I was worried about moisture so the last third of that pot is 100% gravel to maximise drainage. I'll give it a go for now and check it at its next repot. Its pencil thick for now so its nowhere near as developed as your JBP

MartyB

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So here goes nothing. Hope he survives :rolleyes:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom