Quince.... Pouting, dying, or ...dead?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This is the white Chinese Quince that got mashed by falling pot but rescued in time.
Been fine for 3 years.
But.... now.... I noticed leaves drooping the other day. Limp and droopy.
I've watered same as the red one but yesterday the leaves ...looked... dry.
They were. Crispy like potato chips.

Not falling, just crisp. Still green.
It's now on my ICU bench. Shade with some sun. Prior to this it was in sun and ...seemingly... thriving.

Looking at it, maybe watering too much or the heat got it. :(
I'm not adding any water unless the soil looks like the quince is ...using...water.
Wondering if leaving the crispy leaves on will maybe start some new growth from base of stems. ??????

The red one looks okay.

This is the problem white one.

q1.jpg

This is the red one.

q2.jpg

Still have more hot weather on the calendar.

Thanks for any advice. :)

This is the white Chinese Quince that got mashed by falling pot but rescued in time.
Been fine for 3 years.
But.... now.... I noticed leaves drooping the other day. Limp and droopy.
I've watered same as the red one but yesterday the leaves ...looked... dry.
They were. Crispy like potato chips.

Not falling, just crisp. Still green.
It's now on my ICU bench. Shade with some sun. Prior to this it was in sun and ...seemingly... thriving.

Looking at it, maybe watering too much or the heat got it. :(
I'm not adding any water unless the soil looks like the quince is ...using...water.
Wondering if leaving the crispy leaves on will maybe start some new growth from base of stems. ??????

The red one looks okay.

This is the problem white one.

View attachment 562138

This is the red one.

View attachment 562139

Still have more hot weather on the calendar.

Thanks for any advice. :)
My experience with flower quince on getting dried out is the part of the leave will turn brown but not the whole leave. If the whole leaf is crispy then it is not because of drying out. Since this happened on the whole tree... I am afraid it is the root that is the problem.

I'd bet you've been watering it too much. I managed to overwater a very nice air layered trunk I got from a friend. It was placed where it got watered every afternoon (and possibly more in the heat of the past month which topped 95-100 for more than 15 days in a row). It's leaves turned pale green and it tried to send out new shoots, but those died as well. Broke my heart, that air layer was pretty nice.

I'd bet you've been watering it too much. I managed to overwater a very nice air layered trunk I got from a friend. It was placed where it got watered every afternoon (and possibly more in the heat of the past month which topped 95-100 for more than 15 days in a row). It's leaves turned pale green and it tried to send out new shoots, but those died as well. Broke my heart, that air layer was pretty nice.

Still unhealthy. I suspected root/water etc. but have watered exactly like the red one in a pot 4 inches from it. o_O

I had a few chojubai get a little torched in the heat last month. They seem to have recovered since.

I had a few chojubai get a little torched in the heat last month. They seem to have recovered since.

Okay, what I ...did... (past tense) was take all the potato chip leaves and any that plipped off (is "plip" a verb?) :confused:
or flipped off are in the yard waste bucket.
It;s now in even LESS sun and I'll wait and see.

Scraping bark showed a bit of green.

😋

Quince hates me.
I was always told they were a great plant to deal with, but I am having the same issues you are with all of mine, Especially with my white contorta from Brent. Oddly, my chojubai never had the same issue, and they were planted in the same substrate, same amount of sun, and watered in the same way. I guess they are just quirky.

Back
Top Bottom