Pyracantha sources?

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone know of any places that sell pyracantha pre-bonsai? They seem to be a very popular species in Europe, but I never see them listed for sale in the US.

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
Meehans Miniatures has a few sizes and cultivars. I worked there a few times this year and saw some good ones. They are good at shipping too.

Mike Rodgers also has some rough stock one in FL. PM me for his contact info.

There are a few varieties with high resistance to fire blight:

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/plants/landscape/shrubs/hgic1072.html

There are a few cultivars out of France I've heard of that are also highly resistant to fire blight and scab. Never seen them in use:
https://mikesgardentop5plants.wordpress.com/2013/09/18/pyracantha-firethorn/

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
They're super easy to find a regular nurseries. Buy a 5 gallon or even 15gallon sized one= chop in way down and in a couple years you could have the start of a really good bonsai. You could take a little more time with a big one and airlayer etc. but since they are so readily available I wouldnt bother.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They're super easy to find a regular nurseries. Buy a 5 gallon or even 15gallon sized one= chop in way down and in a couple years you could have the start of a really good bonsai. You could take a little more time with a big one and airlayer etc. but since they are so readily available I wouldnt bother.

Hmm, I'll have to look around more then. I haven't seen them at my local nurseries.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Depends on location. Couldn't even have nurseries get them in...in NE Ohio. Got mine from a bonsai nursery. But check with milehigh first.

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There's a great bush here in front of a local restaurant. It would be prefect if it didn't have thorns :) I'm intrigued by the species after seeing a full-sized specimen.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Those are some nice trees! Congrats everyone.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pyracantha is not well known to be a reliable trunk grower. It pushes growth into foliage and grows branches really well. So well that wire will bite in fast. To get a big trunked specimen you will have to find one in a yard that has been pruned back each year or hedged forcing growth back into the trunk. The tree I posted is about 3.5 across at the base and is 50 years old from a shopping center of which I know when the shopping center was built. If this were a 50 year old elm it would be at least 18 inches across the base. Unless you wish a shohin or mame tree nursery stock is going to be rather small in the trunk area.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pyracantha is not well known to be a reliable trunk grower. It pushes growth into foliage and grows branches really well. So well that wire will bite in fast. To get a big trunked specimen you will have to find one in a yard that has been pruned back each year or hedged forcing growth back into the trunk. The tree I posted is about 3.5 across at the base and is 50 years old from a shopping center of which I know when the shopping center was built. If this were a 50 year old elm it would be at least 18 inches across the base. Unless you wish a shohin or mame tree nursery stock is going to be rather small in the trunk area.

That might explain why I see a lot of examples of root over rock.

Top Bottom