Pyracantha black bark

Berra

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

For example the one above, is it a certain type of pyracantha that will produce black bark? Or an age thing?

If age, does anyone know roughly at what age this starts? I love Prunus spinosa and then the plant needs to be OLD

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I imagine it's just the photo...or it has algea/moss on the trunk. Or...just recently watered even.

I know my Chinese quince trunk goes black when wet as I photographed it for that intense look. I can't say I've paid overly attention to the Pyracantha when watered though.

My own Pyracantha...

Betula1

Sapling
Reaction score
Agreed- its probably just wet bark with old moss or algae on it, Pyracantha bark isnt usually black

Berra

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I see, thanks for letting me know. On this following one you can see that the bark is more brown towards the branches, and more black where they water I suppose

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I see, thanks for letting me know. On this following one you can see that the bark is more brown towards the branches, and more black where they water I suppose

The video clip. Shows clearly it has moss/algea over the tree. It needs cleaned.

Reaction score

For example the one above, is it a certain type of pyracantha that will produce black bark? Or an age thing?

If age, does anyone know roughly at what age this starts? I love Prunus spinosa and then the plant needs to be OLD
Yes I know the answer! I was with a friend at Trophy this year who has been looking to find one for a while, they’ve very rare but we found a few at the show, they’re Cork Bark Pyracanthas, I’m not sure if the cultivar has name but they’re 100% differentiable from normal pyracantha when you see them side but side (as we did many times at Trophy). They’re quite rare and I was at Plaza a few weeks ago and found a select few.

I’ve attached a close up of one that we found, apologies as the lighting isn’t the best
IMG_9200.jpeg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes I know the answer! I was with a friend at Trophy this year who has been looking to find one for a while, they’ve very rare but we found a few at the show, they’re Cork Bark Pyracanthas, I’m not sure if the cultivar has name but they’re 100% differentiable from normal pyracantha when you see them side but side (as we did many times at Trophy). They’re quite rare and I was at Plaza a few weeks ago and found a select few.

I’ve attached a close up of one that we found, apologies as the lighting isn’t the best
View attachment 532849
Well that is truly something! Appreciate your sharing. In the ten years of bonsai I've never come across one. Even one sharing. I find it intriguing!

Top Bottom