Psst... Sara Rayner Just Added Some Pots for Sale

Been hoping she would put some up for sale.
Guess I’m going to hato bite the bullet and order.

Buying from her is extremely difficult. If you don't catch them when she's posts them to her site immediately you won't get any.

You're also fighting against other bonsai businesses who buy from her and she only posts updates on her Facebook after uploading her pots. I wish she would have an email list and update her customers that way.

Some people have no life it seems other than hitting the refresh button on their computer on certain websites. Sad, honestly.

Last edited:
I dont have facebook - i deleted it on april fools day 8 or so years ago when people laughed when I told them I would be deleting it - so I guess Im in the dark on these things forever. Even email I only check once a day...

I check my chess.com games and bnut more than my own personal email.

I've asked her to have an email list she can send out a day before she adds her pots to the site so those of us who don't have Facebook or refresh her site every hour for six months have a chance at buying her pots, but alas it's not meant to be.

I wonder if these famous potters have full time jobs or making pots is their full time job.....The reason Im asking is because doesn't seem like a lot of pots are being made to be sold.

I wonder if these famous potters have full time jobs or making pots is their full time job.....The reason Im asking is because doesn't seem like a lot of pots are being made to be sold.
I don’t know about Sara Rayner but I know Vicki Chamberlain has her hands full with commissions (that she delivers to folks at shows), the shows themselves (she does a few Portland events each year) plus big shows. She also does consignment for some people who ask (I tried asking once and she was way too busy to make more for others to sell).

As for Sara, honestly, scarcity drives demand 😂

Sara Rayner, like most of us, is not getting any younger 😁 . She's been doing bonsai pots for a long time, since the 90's. She's very well known, so inventory leaves very very quickly. Same is true for other 'name' bonsai potters. If you want, you have to be quick, or try to commission.😁

I think a lot of people don’t have a full understanding of everything that goes into making pots - especially big pots like the ones that Sara Rayner makes. These pots require a lot of expensive materials. Plus, unless the kiln is huge, one could only fire one or two of these pots at a time.

Then you have to consider that each pot has to be fired twice - once for bisque and once for glaze.

Also, pots this size can take weeks to dry. Dry it too fast, and it might crack. One tiny crack and the whole pot has to be scrapped.

There really are not that many potters that have the skills AND equipment necessary to make pots like this.

Back
Top Bottom