Pruning basics

Recoil Rob

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Springs coming here in the northeastern US and I need to jump in and start pruning a Siberian Elm and a Boxwood.

While searching for some basic rules I found this which seems concise (the three books I have seem to spread the info out all over), are they viable rules to start with?

Untitled.jpg

ralf

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Being just a seed I would take this as an ideal black and white rules. As soon as I get to the higher stages I hope to bend the rules any time I feel it is worth it. Any time I feel it is good for the well being of the tree or my styling plans.
Just an example:
Branches labeled 1 - I would keep them if I need to thicken the bottom part of the tree. I would just use a wire to push them to the side so they do not shadow too much the rest of the tree...
Branches labeled 2 - sometimes I would keep them - there are no better options and cutting them off would destroy the appearance of the tree even worser than leaving them in place. Also if they are in the top section of the tree it is less problematic then in the lower sections....
label 12 - I do not live in Japan and I do not want to have my trees with fish bone structure. But if there is a great trunk it will be a shame to cover it with such positioned branches.

Similar thing could apply to the rest of the points as well but I would follow those ones with less exceptions.

What I like on the diagram - Apart from DON´T or DO it also gives the rationale behind.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The standard guidelines are good to follow in general to make your tree look like a tree :) You will find exceptions and if your trees are only for your pleasure then bend away.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pics?

Roughly 80% of these thread situations, the trees aren't in a position to be applying these techniques to begin with.

Colin Fraser shared this with us on another thread....
Watch all 4 parts!

Also, it doesn't apply to Elm and Box much,
But I am against teaching newbs to blindly cut off all upward and downward growing foliage.

On spruce, Junipers, pines, even some deciduous trees, hell, box and elm too!

You can turn the branch sideways, or completely upside down.....
Be sure you won't need to do that first!

For instance...
The rule "foliage close to the trunk" should take presidence.

If your first foliage is up and down...
But your next bit doesn't come till the end of a 3inch long internode, you are better off flipping that branch sideways, and utilizing that close foliage.

If you blindly cut off all that up and down foliage....
You may end up with nothing good to work with.

This concept gets more important the closer you get to the apex.

So I would say yes....
That sheet is good.

But there is more mindfulness to apply as well....between every rule.

Sorce

Top Bottom